Cadets 3 ?

Look at that left hand!

Amazing!

And so many music teachers today say matched grip is more "natural" than traditional. Ha! BS.

Great pic!

Couldn't agree more. For me, traditional grip is much more comfortable than playing match. Don't know why, but I have played both tenors and snare and playing trad just feels better, to me.

having the hands look like that is good parenting

tumblr_mrluio8s8b1s3zhj2o1_1280.jpg

and so it begins...

Ya know, this single picture says more about our activity than all the forums, threads, articles, and general steaming heaps of BS we normally cram onto DCP and elsewhere.

I just got done reading, digesting, and responding to Lee's "State of Drum Corps" and I get depressed. We take it all so seriously. We debate evolution and shows and staffs and judges and venues and notes and keys and instruments and ultimately it comes down to this: a kid of some age or another, inspired by a dad or mom or friend or someone he or she saw on YouTube is drawn to an instrument and the result is Love, pure and simple. When I was a kid drum corps was the affordable instrument to be drawn to, but for my brother it ended up guitar (although he first played bass drum in a corps).

Ultimately as long as kids fall in love with music and playing, the activity serves its purpose and all the rest of our wringing our hands and brooding over whether it was better in 1982 or 1954 is just so much noise.

I love this picture. It gives me more hope than I've gotten from 5 years of DCP and or RAMD (from which I got nothing but a rash).

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 7

rayfallon, I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments. I think drum corps is full of amazing kids, much better than the "role models" presented to us in government and the media.