Are Championships too expensive?

any ideas on the number of butts in seats?

Obviously I don't have the numbers... but from just the looks of things, there were definitely more people at Finals this year than last.

Prelims had a good-sized crowd, too. For the second year in a row, it seemed there were more people there for the early bloc of corps than in years past.

I think the goal is to get people who aren't aware of DCA or DCA shows to attend. Build the audience, get new people interested. From what I read on FB, the Groupon event DCA did for championships worked well in that area.

Saw some people I knew at Finals and they got Groupon tix at the last minute. Kicker was they were sitting with other Groupon buyers who had never been to a corps show or even a band show for some of them. How ever the Hades Groupon works with this.... :thumbup:

From what I understand, the stadium is owned by the municipality, NOT the Naval Academy.

I can't imagine what tax benefits DCA would be afforded as DCA is a non-profit corp.

Fred... taxes were included for the concession grub n gulp so stadium is not Federal property.

Scratch this... totally forgot the places to eat on base where I work pay State tax.....

1) so no idea who "owns" the stadium land

2) doubt if DCA would get a tax break from state of MD... but we do know how commonwealth of PA is about $$$$

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Obviously I don't have the numbers... but from just the looks of things, there were definitely more people at Finals this year than last.

Prelims had a good-sized crowd, too. For the second year in a row, it seemed there were more people there for the early bloc of corps than in years past.

The prelims crowd was the best I've experienced in my DCA career. They got there early and were responsive and really rewarded the corps who made an impact.

Very clear difference from the last couple years in Rochester, in my opinion.

prelims crowd did look larger and was more enthusiastic. Ran to get a quick bite and didn't back in time to see Gold at finals, so i walked down under the tent at the end of the concourse and the finals crowd looked really large from the side...this was early so there wasn't a lot of people waitint until retreat sitting in there....it was nice to see.

Was at the end zone both years for a while but just can't remember what it looked like 2012. Would not be surprised if more butts in the seats.

Did see a bunch of younger folks (apparently local) near the end of the stands which is a good sign. No idea about last year as we were not sitting there 2012.

Saw C2 from the end zone so had a great view of the crowd. Lot of flags being waved during their show. Would like to know how many people were there because od Cadets2 that would not be there otherwise. If no one else will say it thak you GH...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I would argue that Cadets2 have done more to bring new people into DCA, particularly fans, who would not otherwise have been there. I know of several long-time DCI fans that made the trip this year, one of which had never seen a DCA show live in his life.

They all loved the experience.

I would argue that Cadets2 have done more to bring new people into DCA, particularly fans, who would not otherwise have been there. I know of several long-time DCI fans that made the trip this year, one of which had never seen a DCA show live in his life.

They all loved the experience.

yes they have. But the hotel deal was a known entity from the time they joined DCA, and waiting until the week of the event to cry on Facebook about it was clearly the wrong way to go about it. The contract was already signed, so you either find a way to make it work for you, or you suck it up.