Are Championships too expensive?

I don't think Annapolis is "off the radar" at all for a future bid.

Perhaps the biggest factor in Annapolis being available as a host city in the future is the Navy football schedule.

If there's a Navy home game on Labor Day weekend, that's the priority for the folks in Annapolis, and for the stadium.

We were fortunate that there was a window of opportunity for 2012 and this year... with no Navy home game on Labor Day weekend.

I would imagine the same would apply to a city like Columbus, OH. IMO, that would be a great host city for DCA, with the wonderful Columbus Crew soccer stadium as the venue. But... if Ohio State has a home game Labor Day weekend in that same city... it would be tough, particularly from a hotel-room availability standpoint.

I think that too many folks forget that these stadiums are sports venues first. Just because a particular city has a stadium doesn't mean that it will be available for 2 days and nights of drum corps. One of the issues with DCA trying to find a venue, for the Labor Day weekend, is the possibility of a scheduling conflict with the local football or soccer team.

Nope. Would not miss it for anything, because it is a reunion of sorts for me and mine!

I think that too many folks forget that these stadiums are sports venues first. Just because a particular city has a stadium doesn't mean that it will be available for 2 days and nights of drum corps. One of the issues with DCA trying to find a venue, for the Labor Day weekend, is the possibility of a scheduling conflict with the local football or soccer team.

sometimes this can be resolved with the home and away scheduling,..........but don't forget, DCA prefers bids that are for 2 consecutive years.

Edited by Gary Matczak

From what I understand, the stadium is owned by the municipality, NOT the Naval Academy.

I can't imagine what tax benefits DCA would be afforded as DCA is a non-profit corp.

What could DCA receive by way of in-kind benefits:

Free or reduced price stadium.

No charge for city services like police, traffic, clean-up, permit fees, barricades and signage.

Special exemptions from certain municipal restrictions.

Free advertising in city publications, brochures, press releases.

Participation at city-sponsored promotions and special events throughout the year.

Quiet encouragement by local officials upon local media outlets for regular DCA coverage.

Quiet encouragement by local officials upon local businesses for DCA event sponsorships and advertising.

Complimentary meeting room and banquet facilities.

Complimentary lodging for DCA officials throughout the year, especially this weekend.

Municipal/hotel telephone and secretarial support.

Selected stadium volunteer staffing.

Use of city equipment like portable band shell, PA system.

Exclusive use of certain parking lots.

Small rebate on each room purchased.

There is a TREMENDOUS need for DCA to be seen as a big hotel user no matter where DCA goes. Hotel usage (and all that goes with that) represents NEW money brought into a community, not just the same local money recycled.

EVERY corps should accept the obligation of responsibility for moving a certain amount of rooms.

• Like 2

And unlike some corps, we can't make the kids pay for this weekend.

Trivia: Below is the minimum amount each Renegades member paid (out of their own pocket) for DCA weekend:

$400: Plane flight

$200: Hotel/Transportation

$100: Food

----------------

$700 <-------------- Cost of DCA weekend (per member)

Renegades did that for 10 years in a row.

- Greg

• Like 3

Trivia: Below is the minimum amount each Renegades member paid (out of their own pocket) for DCA weekend:

$400: Plane flight

$200: Hotel/Transportation

$100: Food

----------------

$700 <-------------- Cost of DCA weekend (per member)

Renegades did that for 10 years in a row.

- Greg

Fixed it

I'm not that familiar with the operations of a DCA corps, but as I read through this, I wonder if the corps feeds their members while they are there. Seems like the cost of the room could be minor compared to the amount of food that needs to be bought during their time at championships.

I know some went down last night (at least 1 meal) today (3 meals) tomorrow (3 meals) On the way home (?)

How many corps feed their members?

Also, do the corps tell the younger kids this while they are recruiting. All I ever hear is how it only costs $500 total.

I'm not that familiar with the operations of a DCA corps, but as I read through this, I wonder if the corps feeds their members while they are there. Seems like the cost of the room could be minor compared to the amount of food that needs to be bought during their time at championships.

Cadets2 feeds their members most of, if not all of the time. It's one of their selling points, and is one of the reasons some folks consider them to be so expensive.

Cadets2 feeds their members most of, if not all of the time. It's one of their selling points, and is one of the reasons some folks consider them to be so expensive.

I would think Bucs and C2 would feed as both are run more like a DCI corps.