Someone please explain e=mc^2 to me, because I really don't like/g

Answer after reading my comments, please :)  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Considering their title, what it implied, and what was presented, does Crown's show make sense?

• Yes, your comments didn't change my mind
    • No, your comments changed my mind
    • No, I already had this opinion
    • I don't know

And before anyone brings up anecdotes or experiences of how "normal people" or Joe Schmoes like one thing or another, for everyone:

If you bring someone new to you with a drum corps show for the the first time, and you're sitting next to them making asides about

weird uniforms

and amplification

and how it wasn't always like this

and no one plays real music any more,

they'll probably agree with you. People like to be polite. Especially if you paid for their ticket. Especially if they know you've watched this for years, and probably know more about it than them. No one wants to look stupid. You're part of their experience too. A really delicious expensive dinner with a bad date isn't a good memory. A crummy hamburger with someone you love can be totally amazing.

You make an excellent point. That said, I can say that I introduced several people to drum corps this year, and I was very careful to not mention any concerns I might have about the state of the activity so that they would have as unbiased an experience as possible. Of those folks, the person with the best ears (the professional sound designer) complained to me without prompting about the synthesizers, which he thought added an unnecessary artificiality to the productions, and the two people I took to the DCI Open Class show picked the relatively simple 7th Regiment show as their favorite even though BDB and SCVC were both there. On the other hand, the longtime DCI follower that I introduced to DCA this year (at Finals) told me later that after watching the first several corps, he was disappointed and doubtful that the quality justified a six-hour drive. (By the time the evening was over, he said he's had a better time at DCA Finals this year than he had at DCI Finals the year before, so enjoyable were the final seven DCA corps -- although the acoustics of the stadium and location of our seats also played into his thinking).

Some people on here have some serious baggage that they choose to bring to their DCI experience. Seriously. If you have to negatively, obsessively bring up capitalized Art Forms and Ivory Tower Intellectualism and Artistic Show Designers in almost EVERY POST YOU MAKE ABOUT MARCHING BAND, the problem might be a little closer to home than the local show designer.

And before anyone brings up anecdotes or experiences of how "normal people" or Joe Schmoes like one thing or another, for everyone:

If you bring someone new to you with a drum corps show for the the first time,

and you're sitting next to them making asides about

weird uniforms

and amplification

and how it wasn't always like this

and no one plays real music any more,

they'll probably agree with you. People like to be polite. Especially if you paid for their ticket. Especially if they know you've watched this for years, and probably know more about it than them. No one wants to look stupid. You're part of their experience too. A really delicious expensive dinner with a bad date isn't a good memory. A crummy hamburger with someone you love can be totally amazing.

If I took a 'Joe Schmoe' out to DCI and I just raved about what I liked in every program, I'd probably have a totally different experience with what "normal people" like about DCI. A lot of what 2 or 3 people complain about on here says WAY more about them and their need to be catered to than it ever does about the state of the activity.

Seeing that you're new around these parts; give us six months...We'll work on blasting your idealism to smithereens. It's what we do best. :ph34r::w00t:

• Like 1

Seeing that you're new around these parts; give us six months...We'll work on blasting your idealism to smithereens. It's what we do best. ph34r.gifw00t.gif

It's actually Stu under a different name. He's been pulling our leg all this time. tongue.gif

• Like 2

It's actually Stu under a different name. He's been pulling our leg all this time. tongue.gif

Stu Boo? That may be too much musical, let alone visual!!:shutup:/>

I wonder why Crown didn't use this Einstein quote in their show? "He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice." Einstein...marching...music; what a missed opportunity. :tongue:

I wonder why Crown didn't use this Einstein quote in their show? "He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice." Einstein...marching...music; what a missed opportunity. tongue.gif

Sounds perfect. Crown should have put it on a t-shirt.

(This activity is completely different than what he was referring to, of course. Almost completely. smile.gif)

(Yes I know that's an oxymoron. Or it seems like one. I'll have to think about it. Or not.)

I wonder why Crown didn't use this Einstein quote in their show? "He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice." Einstein...marching...music; what a missed opportunity. :tongue:/>

Quoted Source??? In case some folks might think you are being sardonic or creative.

• 3 weeks later...

The first time I saw Crown's show I was pretty offended by it. Given the show title, I was expecting a show celebrating science and human advancement, but instead I see a show that celebrates everything it can't do. I REALLY don't like the counting, and I actually hate the narration (sorry if the guy who did that reads this). If you ask me I don't think a narrated story has ANY place in DCI. It covers a relatively weak ballad. Sure, their hornline was absolutely dialed in, can't deny that. But the music does nothing for me. Especially what they hid under the narration during the ballad piece.

I also did a little personal calculating and found that Crown's hornline is neither playing or marching for a full 26% of the show. That's appalling. I'm afraid in our eagerness for Crown to finally beat BD, Crown became them. Also, I'm not one of the old DCI fans. I'm not even 20 yet, and was only introduced to DCI just 3 years ago. So, this isn't someone pining for the days before b-flat trumpets and amplification.

Anyways, this opinion has not been well received around the internet or among my friends. Given the huge negative backlash, I'm looking for someone who could explain this show to me in a way that would make sense of it all. Anyone who could address my concerns above would be really appreciated. Thanks guys.

ALSO, please don't comment telling me I'm stupid or just don't get it. This is me taking that under consideration and hoping to gain more understanding. Thanks.

It's simple. It was all because the feels. No other corps really gave me any.