Someone please explain e=mc^2 to me, because I really don't like/g

Answer after reading my comments, please :)  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Considering their title, what it implied, and what was presented, does Crown's show make sense?

• Yes, your comments didn't change my mind
    • No, your comments changed my mind
    • No, I already had this opinion
    • I don't know

who cares..it was a great show..and had enough in it without explanation.....thats coming from many who stood up and I would bet anything most didnt know a darn thing about any of it. tongue.gif/>/> and that's from being front and center 50 yrd line LOS smile.gif/>

but people do care because the corps have been telling people you have to care.

• Like 1

Unless you consider his treatment of his ex wife and his "incestuous" relationship with his cousin are considered to be just as much of his legacy as relativity, space time, and peace activism. No historical discussion is complete without them to describe how his clock ticked. More relevance to the EOTB creators.

and most people don't know about either

a good show is a good show...and thats it....maybe people listen to much....theres plenty in most all shows.....i dont care what the show you cant explain away a show in a 12 min span. if you get a glimpse here and there fine...........if you have to think that hard for every corps how can you enjoy...you cant..crown had a great show and had tons of stuff including a story BUT If you didnt get the story it didnt matter......at all

Edited by GUARDLING

I'm waiting for a corps to play the following: "The Sudetenland Is Never Ever Getting Back Together." "Austria Has Changed." "I Knew Belgium Was Trouble." "France Belongs With Me." "Half of Poland."

2014 Carolina Crown: Springtime For Hitler: The Songs Of Taylor Swift.

or

2014 Carolina Crown: E=mc2 part 2 : John Cheated On Me!

(Spoiler: She ends up back with Peter Pan. She's Tinkerbell. You knew that right?)

or

2014 Carolina Crown: F=ma. Newton In The Bathtub.

(Spoiler: "One-one-one-one One-one-one-one One-one-one-one One-one-one-one" "Do you love me Isaac?" "In a limited kind of way, yeah.")

• Like 5

2014 Carolina Crown: F=ma. Newton In The Bathtub.

Only if the bathtub were to be resting in the sling of a ready-to-launch catapult.

absolutely true.

the vast majority of fans were able to ENJOY the show without explanation.

because..it was just really good drum corps.

And that's ultimately the only thing that should matter.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 2

And that's ultimately the only thing that should matter.

This.

While I think the issues raised by Stu and the OP are important for show designers to understand, at the end of the day as long as the crowds are cheering it's OK. I believe Crown won in part because they fed off of that crowd reaction all season. If they don't thrill the crowd, they won't have the motivation to excel. But that doesn't mean they must be slaves to the crowd.

Even BD with all their controversial shows: Did they every put out a show that the crowd basically didn't like at all (including all the musical moments)? That never happens in this activity. People are cheering several times in every top corps performance every year. It's all about degrees of awesomeness. We're spoiled for choice!

• Like 1

Where have corps been 'telling people' this? Just because they put out a press release or post a show description on their website/FB page doesn't mean that anyone HAS to care. It is just out there for those who choose to look at the descriptions.

• Like 1

Some people on here have some serious baggage that they choose to bring to their DCI experience. Seriously. If you have to negatively, obsessively bring up capitalized Art Forms and Ivory Tower Intellectualism and Artistic Show Designers in almost EVERY POST YOU MAKE ABOUT MARCHING BAND, the problem might be a little closer to home than the local show designer.

And before anyone brings up anecdotes or experiences of how "normal people" or Joe Schmoes like one thing or another, for everyone:

If you bring someone new to you with a drum corps show for the the first time,

and you're sitting next to them making asides about

weird uniforms

and amplification

and how it wasn't always like this

and no one plays real music any more,

they'll probably agree with you. People like to be polite. Especially if you paid for their ticket. Especially if they know you've watched this for years, and probably know more about it than them. No one wants to look stupid. You're part of their experience too. A really delicious expensive dinner with a bad date isn't a good memory. A crummy hamburger with someone you love can be totally amazing.

If I took a 'Joe Schmoe' out to DCI and I just raved about what I liked in every program, I'd probably have a totally different experience with what "normal people" like about DCI. A lot of what 2 or 3 people complain about on here says WAY more about them and their need to be catered to than it ever does about the state of the activity.

I wish I could green plus click this post "many hundreds" of times. Well said! thumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif

• Like 2