What is DCA Doing Right? (If they are.)

Minnesota making that long trip East for many years... and then Heat Wave coming north from Florida for the first Class A title show in 1997... those two corps were pioneers, for sure.

add to that,......back in the early/mid 70's MBI was travelling to Erie for RCA Championships,.......

LOL... less good one than my corps experiences.. IOW I competed in RCA and ICA....

Northeast Circuit... oops before my time but Westshoremen and Lancers were in Interstate Circuit but not sure when that was ended. And two members of those corps were on the initial BoD of the RCA....

Sunrisrs were in that Northeast Circuit, way back in the day... pre-DCA.

Jim, good to see you last night... however briefly. LOL

After the show, several of us went to the diner for a late-night bite... Steve Anderman, myself, Tony White and a few others were talking about the days of the RCA and ICA, and reminiscing about the many corps... some well-known, others not so well-known... that participated in those circuits.

Sunrisers were in that Northeast Circuit, way back in the day... pre-DCA.

Actually, Sun remained in the NE Circuit through the 66 season ... the circuit itself lasted until 1968 (the year RCA started) ... the Hurcs, Marksmen, I-men and Sun all came through the doors of the Yankee and NE circuits ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

Some will find this naive, but DCA must be doing A LOT right to keep this many corps on the field, while adding some new ones. The financial & social environments are so much tougher than in earlier years, it's usually counter-productive to

even compare the 'teens to the late 20th Century. I for one am pretty impressed!

Edited by Schnitzel

Some will find this naive, but DCA must be doing A LOT right to keep this many corps on the field, while adding some new ones. The financial & social environments are so much tougher than in earlier years, it's usually counter-productive to

even compare the 'teens to the late 20th Century. I for one am pretty impressed!

none of us were around in the "teens" except ray fallon. LOL. it's definitely different now. there are no junior feeder corps left. CYO, VFW, AL. corps. and all the independants. my corps was an independent corps till 1967. we had to join DCA or face extinction. it was a good move.

Actually, Sun remained in the NE Circuit through the 66 season ... the circuit itself lasted until 1968 (the year RCA started) ... the Hurcs, Marksmen, I-men and Sun all came through the doors of the Yankee and NE circuits ...

:-)

Connecticut Yankees, Torrington Vagabonds, New Bedford Whalers were a few others as well.

I think all of the reasons stated are contributing to what may be going right.

Personally I believe that the strength of any large organization is due to the health of the individual membership. DCA whether by design or otherwise is a real alternative to those DCI aged kids that can't afford the time or money investments in going on tour. The tell tale sign would be to see how many DCI corps have age outs that only marched 1 or 2 years with any particular corps. I happened to see an age out list for the Cavaliers and somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 to 30% were one year age outs. I know of many kids that at the very least are making an effort to march/audition knowing it's their last eligible year, but spent the previous years marching in DCA.

For the west coast, DCI open class is the real alternative, but not so in the east where there aren't any prominent open class choices. Outside of Cadets, which only have so many spots, the only other world option is Surf, and from kids that I know well, they see Reading, C2 or Cabs and now Fusion as a better performance/experience opportunity.

• Like 1

Sunrisrs were in that Northeast Circuit, way back in the day... pre-DCA.

Jim, good to see you last night... however briefly. LOL

After the show, several of us went to the diner for a late-night bite... Steve Anderman, myself, Tony White and a few others were talking about the days of the RCA and ICA, and reminiscing about the many corps... some well-known, others not so well-known... that participated in those circuits.

Kept thinking of ICA last night when seeing Empire Statesmen..... competed at 1985 ICA Championships against them at Erie....

And had good talks with Pat (Goalie Guy) a RCA Alumnus with MBI....

Thank Minnesota Brass and Heatwave for coming from a non-Northeast state to compete. Afte that Corpsvets, Renegades, etc.

On the money, Keith.

Minnesota making that long trip East for many years... and then Heat Wave coming north from Florida for the first Class A title show in 1997... those two corps were pioneers, for sure.

That Heat Wave thing was huge. It opened the door for CorpsVets, Carolina Gold and so forth.

A bit different than an earlier era, when the Yankee Rebels from Baltimore were considered the "southern corps" in DCA.

:ph34r:/>/>/>

Gentlemen:

I want to thank you for your kind words about my MBI family, but I would be dis-ingenuous if I failed to remind you and others that it was indeed our earlier counterparts from "The Drum Corps Capital of the World" that were the first "outsiders" to make the Top 10 at DCA. 1970 Boys' of '76 (which until they finally closed the doors, were THE oldest drum corps competing on the planet) broke into the "elite" class of that circuit.. :worthy:/>/>

Before my time, but they WERE the ones who opened the doors for everything that followed..I guess MBI may have been the ones who were hard-headed enough to keep coming back for more, even when it wasn't favorable to do so. Must be something about all that cold & all that beer (heaven forbid!), and stobbornness that they wouldn't quit, even when in some cases it would have been wiser to "FORGEDDABOUDIT"..

At least at point, even some of the senior members have to be thankful for the variety!.

I will continue abuse Vic Kulinski for bringing the crew up from 'Flah-ridah' - (he technically doesn't count - he's from CT :devil:/>/> ) Sorry, Vic..

running and hiding now.....

Pat