Annapolis

Yep! And rumor has it we will never be back there. Pretty sad.

Please tell us, all knowing guru, where you got that nugget of information.

Till you spill, I call shenanigans.

Shenanigans.

This.

Edited by Fran Haring

Shenanigans.

:thumbup:

And I take this as from the horse's mouth as opposed to it coming out of other orifices....

Shenanigans.

And just what makes you so qualified to say so?

:tongue:/>

Jeff, awesome job to you and everyone these last two years. The Middies working the events were so polite and helpful, which of course we expect, but they really were. We're not an easy crowd to work with sometimes, and they just smiled, said thank you a lot, and were a delight to talk to.

And I personally know at least 9 color guard people of both sexes who anytime they saw some walk by, they immediately dropped their conversations and followed them with drool coming from their mouths LOL

Shenanigans.

Thought so.

Thanks Jeff! For a Navy guy, you're not half bad!

(Former Army guy)

From what I understand, the Carrier Dome in Syracuse is not air-conditioned. That could make for a very uncomfortable experience on a warm day in late August/early September.

I wonder sometimes if I'm the only person who liked the venue used for the DCA title show in Syracuse in 2000-2001. LOL.

From what I recall, the stadium was filled to capacity on Finals night and also had a big crowd for Prelims ... accoustics were fine... the OnCenter convention center venue was a good one for the I&E/mini-corps show... and the city was a great host.

Yes, it was a baseball stadium. But the "front sideline orientation" issue didn't seem as bad as it has been at other baseball parks that have held DCA shows in the past (regular-season shows included)... most notably Rochester's Frontier Field in 1996.

You only liked it because you were "up close and personal" with the skunk that got into the stadium!!! LOL I didn't mind Syracuse, personally. I'll pass on Allentown, thanks...the lighting was terrible, the wooden seats were falling apart and filled with yellow jackets and there was no parking...and THE HILL. I know that Lackawanna County Stadium in Scranton is no longer drum corps friendly...but what about the facility that currently hosts the single-night show? Would it be able to accommodate the championships?

As for Annapolis, if you were sitting under the overhang, the PA system was super terrible-we couldn't hear/understand ANYTHING. Nearly missed the 50/50 winning number on Saturday, missed all announcements of prelim scores (what happened to the "good old days" when scores were announced as we went along, so that we were only "held hostage" to the last three or so scores?) and pretty much anything else that was announced. I never flew to Rochester, only drove so not sure what the airport experience is like...but I could certainly do without BWI. Every time I've flown into/out of there, there are ALWAYS delays. We actually left yesterday, sticking around for an extra day to sight see in DC...and were rewarded for travelling on a non-holiday with a three plus hour delay. It had nothing to do with weather in either Baltimore or our destination, both were calm and clear. I also had the same complaint this year that I had last year-there were NO ushers available to help people find their seats-so people would end up coming all the way up the aisle only to realize they needed to be on the opposite side of the section. With all the cadets available, couldn't we have a couple at the exit of each tunnel to help direct people?

The big problem we are bound to have no matter where we end up, is the fact that football teams play on drum corps fields-and there are a lot more of THEM than there are of US. It isn't as big of an issue with DCI because their season ends before football season starts. As long as DCA holds their championships on Labor Day weekend, it will be an issue. While Rochester is not the most beautiful city to host the championships, it really has most everything that we need-a great venue for I&E/mini corps, tons of restaurants and hotels, lots of parking close to the stadium, a decent stadium with a great concession variety and plenty of them, and no restrictions on corps getting to play their championship encores. The only drawback to the Rochester stadium is that the seats don't fold-so when someone is entering/leaving a row, it's always an adventure. No matter where they're held, there will be some who will be ecstatic and others who will swear there's no way they're going there and they'll watch on FN, and others who will reluctantly attend live anyway. And there'll be some guy announcing it all wearing an extremely wild shirt.

• Like 1

Some of the same people were giving me the same sort of lip service when I said the championships were coming back to Rochester WAY before they were announced.

I can point you to that thread.

I know that Lackawanna County Stadium in Scranton is no longer drum corps friendly...but what about the facility that currently hosts the single-night show? Would it be able to accommodate the championships?

As for Annapolis, if you were sitting under the overhang, the PA system was super terrible-we couldn't hear/understand ANYTHING. Nearly missed the 50/50 winning number on Saturday, missed all announcements of prelim scores (what happened to the "good old days" when scores were announced as we went along, so that we were only "held hostage" to the last three or so scores?) and pretty much anything else that was announced.

I never flew to Rochester, only drove so not sure what the airport experience is like...but I could certainly do without BWI. Every time I've flown into/out of there, there are ALWAYS delays.

Good question about the stadium in Scranton. It's pretty good-sized, but I'm not sure the parking situation would be ideal for so many buses and so many spectators. Also, the concessions area is pretty small.

The PA system in Annapolis is being overhauled, as is a good portion of the stadium, in the months to come. The PA system we used this year was actually a temporary one, and it sounded better than last year's... but I agree, there is a design flaw there with no speakers facing out toward the concourse. Sunday, the stadium crew did its best to kind of jury-rig the system to turn some speakers around.

I'm sorry you've had such bad luck at BWI. Honestly, I think you drew the short straw. LOL. I've never had any major problems with flight delays there, and the airport's overall on-time performance record is a good one.

Rochester obviously is a smaller airport... and I guess a bunch of folks have to make more connections to get there, compared to the gazillion direct flights into BWI... but the Rochester airport is terrific, IMO. Very easy to access anything there, and a reasonably quick trip to any of the area hotels.

Some of the same people were giving me the same sort of lip service when I said the championships were coming back to Rochester WAY before they were announced.

I can point you to that thread.

Yeah... but in the case of Annapolis, you have no idea what you're talking about.

OK everyone else... does that about sum up our feelings? :tongue:

• Like 2