Sad News Rod Goodhart

Fastone

Just heard that Rod Goodhart former DCI\DCA judge, member of DCI and World Drumcorps HOF and arranger\instructor for the Yankee Rebels has passed. He was a hardcore but fair judge who was well respected and was instrumental in developing young percussion judges and standards. May he Rest in Peace.

One of the greats...

• Like 1

i knew rod well from his rebel days. he was a great instructor and judge. we lost a great one. RIP..........

• Like 1

RIP to a great guy who took the time to show a bratty 4 year old stuff during breaks while his Daddy kept working on what Rod gave him.

Weather you agreed with the score he gave or not,you always got a complete and thorough read from him. And unlike some others,he would back up his read in the meeting.

• Like 2

Rodney Goodheart was a great gift to all of us.

There isn't a single drummer, arranger or instructor currently active in corps today that has not been positively influenced by him at some level.

It was no accident that he had real credibility as a teacher and judge. One didn't become center snare in the USAF Drum and Bugle Corps unless he could play with the skill and heart of a fighter pilot.

Rod had all the right stuff, and he shared it generously.

• Like 1

Rod was an instructor for a Drum line I played in when I was 13. I remember one night during the Iran Hostage Crisis we had to end practice early because President Carter was going to make an address on TV that night. Most of us were young had long hair and kinda hung out. Rod spent that whole practice telling us you'd better straighten up because the President is gonna reinstate the draft and your all gonna get drafted an have to straighten up. Turned out it was the Malaise speech that the president gave, however every time I saw Rod judging on the field or talking with a drum line I imagined him telling then your gonna get drafted. I think most of us there did wind up in the military at some point, but as volunteers. It wasn't till years later that I appreciated the time he spent working with a bunch of 13 and 14 year olds and realized that he could have been working on more high profile projects.

I plan to share these wonderful posts with his family. Here is the announcement:

Subject: Funeral Arrangements for Rod Goodhart

Please forward (edit as you need to) to your respective groups:

The life of Rod Goodhart (NGWTE Men’s Walk # 147) will be celebrated, Saturday, September 7 at 1:00 PM in the Sanctuary at Hillside UMC. Hillside UMC is located at 4474 Towne Lake Parkway, Woodstock, GA 30189.

The family will receive friends in Fellowship Hall immediately following the service.

There will be no visitation prior to the service. Woodstock Funeral Home is handling cremation services. The reception will be hosted by Rod’s Sunday school class, Disciple Makers and Small Group

One of Rod’s passions was drum corps. Rod was a member of the drum corps behind President John F. Kennedy’s hearse. Rod and 2 generations of his family after him have competed at a national level. Rod was also a nationally-recognized judge for drum corps competitions.

In lieu of flowers, the Goodhart family would like to suggest donations to the one of two of Rod's passions: The Hillside Music Ministry or to Drum Corps International, a passion of Rod's for over 30 years.

To donate to the Hillside UMC Music Ministry please make a check payable to "Hillside UMC Music Ministry" and put "in honor of Rod Goodhart". You can drop the check by the church office or mail it to "Hillside UMC, 4474 Towne Lake Parkway, Woodstock, GA 30189"

To donate to Drum Corps International, please follow these instructions:

Online via the donation link here: http://www.dcistore.org/Donations/products/65/ Important: When choosing this method please send a follow up email to friends@dci.org with subject line: Goodhart Donation. Simply include your name and the date of your contribution so that it can be credited to the family.

Cards and letters of encouragement may be sent to:

Regina Goodhart

302 Blue Ridge Trace

Woodstock, GA 30189

Andrea Back & Family

4321 Grandby Way

Marietta, GA 30062

Deanna King & Family

1024 Deer Hollow Drive

Woodstock, GA 30189

Mark & Heather Goodhart

149 Linton Drive