DCI

Stu

Ahh. A question that actually makes sense.

I have no idea. I don't think DCI should become more like DCA.

DCI already serves, to some degree, as a performance opportunity for all-age corps. DCI is run by paid professionals, while DCA isn't. There's no reason for DCI to stop serving junior corps, or to stop hosting shows during the work week. DCI already shares Fan Network technology with DCA, so it's certainly not that.

I suppose you could make an argument that the DCA judging system rewards more entertaining shows than DCI does, but that's probably subjective (and the DCA system isn't necessarily better, just a tad different). Other than that, I can't think of a single reason DCI should do anything like DCA does.

Now, the corps in DCI could certainly learn a few lessons from DCA corps, but that's not what you asked.

I completely agree. One of the things I really dig about the drum corps activity is how diverse it is. I think that DCI serves a specific subset of organizations and fans, while DCA serves another subset of organizations and fans. Neither organization should follow the other's lead

OK, then please answer the question: If DCI has more corps in all tier levels, along with higher attendance, then why do many DCA people post on here that DCI should be more like DCA?

In what way have people said that DCI should be more like DCA? The only comments along those lines I can recall seeing are a call for DCI corps to present shows that are more entertaining. But I think that request would be made whether DCA existed or not.

• Like 2

I almost posted this same thing. I was shocked to see such a small crowd at DCA Championships. I've never been to the Championships and I've only attended two DCA shows over the years.

I've only been to two DCA shows: this year's and last year's championships, both in Annapolis, and I thought the crowd was noticeably larger this year. Which I took to be a good sign, even if part of the increase was clearly attributable to the long line for Groupon tickets (which, of course, earn DCA less money).

Question: Why, then, should DCI follow the lead of DCA?

Who on DCP has said that DCI should follow the lead of DCA, especially given the fact there are 7 DCI Corps Directors that recently told us they are not sure they are fully committed themselves to the current DCI model either ? I think we can all agree here that there is currently much better collegiality, trust, working relationships, etc and less acrimony among the various DCA Corps ranks on the whole than within the DCI Corps ranks, especially at the Directorship levels. That said, I don't see too many people on DCP looking for the DCI Corps to adopt the DCA Model as they are entirely different infrastructures serving entirely different objectives and aims regarding competition ( and exhibition ) formats as well as staff and MM formats.

Edited by BRASSO

I completely agree. One of the things I really dig about the drum corps activity is how diverse it is. I think that DCI serves a specific subset of organizations and fans, while DCA serves another subset of organizations and fans. Neither organization should follow the other's lead

Eventually, DCI and DCA will merge, imo.

Not today, not tomorrow. But it seems inevitable to me, and I've said so for awhile now. Thats where this is all headed. Its no longer a question of " should ", or " If ", its just a matter of " when ", in my opinion. There is value in economy of scale, and the expansion of customer base, diversity of offerings, divisions of Corps with levels of committments, the expansion of age participations, etc... and so forth, as well as the elimination of some overlap and duplicative systems. All under one umbrella. I believe The Cadets organization see this down the road too and have jumped out front to have a Corps in each so that when the merger comes it will be seemless for them.

Edited by BRASSO

With the small amount of corps left in both....a merger would be best. Both organizations will lose one corps this year (that we know of now). DCA corps can still do weekends, DCI can do there thing but joining forces to promote the activity would be beneficial to both.

When I as a kid in corps (1970's) I heard negative things about "Senior"corps and didn't want anything to do with them. It wasn't until 1990 that I found out it was all the same anyways.

Why not have a show that is on a Saturday with Cadets, Boston, SCV. Reading Buccaneers, Hawthorne,Fusion, and White Sabers? Sounds like a winner to me!

Why not instead have a Saturday show with Cadets, Boston, SCV, Genesis, Spartans, and 7th Regiment? Sounds like a winner to me!

• Like 1

In what way have people said that DCI should be more like DCA? The only comments along those lines I can recall seeing are a call for DCI corps to present shows that are more entertaining. But I think that request would be made whether DCA existed or not.

Don't expect an answer to that question. That's not how trolling works.

Everyone knows DCA's idea of success is much smaller in scale than DCI's.

People have specifically touted DCA over DCI in a plethora of ways: no electronics, no amplification, more 'entertaining', less operational costs, on and on and on... yet by all accounts (number of units, number of participants, show attendance, revenue generated, etc) DCI is more successful.

People have specifically touted DCA over DCI in a plethora of ways: no electronics, no amplification, more 'entertaining', less operational costs, on and on and on... yet by all accounts (number of units, number of participants, show attendance, revenue generated, etc) DCI is more successful.

I've seen people say "I'm sick of DCI ... I'll only support DCA corps from now on."

Has anyone actually said "DCI should be like DCA?" Please, show me examples of this.

This whole thread is based on one giant strawman argument.

• Like 5