DCI

Stu

I understand what you're saying, and the potential for problems. But I would separate Model UN or other non-music activities from another music-related activity (especially a marching music activity coming into marching band season). But I guess that comes down to opinion.

A kid representing Zambia for a week of Model UN doesn't compare to a baritone player from Bluecoats in preparation and ability to produce for the band program.

Garry in Vegas

Oh, I have no doubt, as I said, that the preparation in drum corps does exactly what you state for the marching band program.

But IMO you can't look at it in a narrow way of being able to benefit the band program in excusing a person from a mandatory activity, yet not excuse someone else doing something that in their view (and their parental units' view) is just as important for their overall education. Parents do not look at it the way you note...and neither would an administrator, who has zero idea of what drum corps is...or cares...when an irate parent put in a complaint about favoritism.

• Like 1

Oh, I have no doubt, as I said, that the preparation in drum corps does exactly what you state for the marching band program.

But IMO you can't look at it in a narrow way of being able to benefit the band program in excusing a person from a mandatory activity, yet not excuse someone else doing something that in their view (and their parental units' view) is just as important for their overall education. Parents do not look at it the way you note...and neither would an administrator, who has zero idea of what drum corps is...or cares...when an irate parent put in a complaint about favoritism.

Your replies have been accurate, at least from my perspective. One of my many hats includes being an administrator of a religious based school and while the principal handless most issues, problems that can't be solved come to me. And yes, it is easy to get an administrator PO'd. Overall parents praise and agree with most rules, however, many parents believe their kids are the exception of the very rules they support and praise.

Now as far as whether representing the school at the Model UN or being a baritone for Bluecoats is more helpful for a band program, some may claim the Model UN is the better experience. Now before anyone jumps down my throats, this is not an anti-Bluecoats statement. I love Bluecoats, I purchase their t-shirts, clap and "bloo" at the same time after their, and personally thanked some of their staff members for performing "Autumn Leaves" for the encore at Bristol, RI. No, I base this claim on a helpful hint provided by the young David Haven of JD Funcorps and SOA fame. In his video on Post Drum Corps Blues, he suggests that when marching members return to their schools, they should not be arrogant and give drum corps a bad name because drum corps and marching band are two different entities. So if a former marching member returns arrogant, the Model UN member may be of more value. I have put on enough plays to know that a "Master Thespian" or "Prima Donna" may make a production memorable, but the kids who want to work and the ones needed o make it happen.

. DCI and DCA are different in the membership they serve. That is not meant to be a slam on DCA.

10000000000000000% correct