Blue Devils 1988

Just watched several different videos of it. The sound of that soprano line. Nothing like it. That's all I've got. The end.

My second favorite Blue Devil show and second favorite Blue Devil hornline.

My fav from BD.....

Just watched several different videos of it. The sound of that soprano line. Nothing like it. That's all I've got. The end.

Major Wood reporting for duty! :shutup::worthy:

Major Hooters brings me to attention every time!

Back on topic, yes, that is one smokin' soprano line, as well as the rest of the brass.

Gimme another BD show like this. Please, Wayne? Maybe have Dave take a year off from freaky designs and concepts? Just go out and flatten some grandstands?

Please?

Garry in Vegas

• Like 2

I thought 89 was a pretty unreal brass section too. Great music selection, and such cool drill. I like that show as well as I like the top two. And their soloists were top notch that year to boot.

I thought 89 was a pretty unreal brass section too. Great music selection, and such cool drill. I like that show as well as I like the top two. And their soloists were top notch that year to boot.

I suspect you have a copy of the prelims (semis) performance. BD suffered what was perhaps the biggest soprano frack in DCI history on finals night. DCI dubbed in the prelims version for the CD's/Video Tapes / DVDs. I think only the solo was dubbed, not the entire prelim performance. But it was like the wind was sucked out of the rest of the horn line from that point on.

I have a video tape I made off the live PBS broadcast. Rondo was rather speechless immediately after the performance - words to the effect 'most reckless BD brass performance he had heard'

Here is a DCP discussion from 2006 http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/80153-fracks-worse-than-or-just-as-bad-as-blue-devils-1989/

• Like 1

I suspect you have a copy of the prelims (semis) performance. BD suffered what was perhaps the biggest soprano frack in DCI history on finals night. DCI dubbed in the prelims version for the CD's/Video Tapes / DVDs. I think only the solo was dubbed, not the entire prelim performance. But it was like the wind was sucked out of the rest of the horn line from that point on.

I have a video tape I made off the live PBS broadcast. Rondo was rather speechless immediately after the performance - words to the effect 'most reckless BD brass performance he had heard'

I have an original PBS 89 tape too. I've been watching the legacy DVD for the last 5 years or so. I think what Rondinero said wasn't quite so brash, something like "a more reckless Blue devils this year" or something like that. were the messed up notes at the end of the ballad? (or was it written like that). I'll watch the tape again.

I have an original PBS 89 tape too. I've been watching the legacy DVD for the last 5 years or so. I think what Rondinero said wasn't quite so brash, something like "a more reckless Blue devils this year" or something like that. were the messed up notes at the end of the ballad? (or was it written like that). I'll watch the tape again.

The end of the ballad. I was there for it live - my first (of many) Finals. At the time, I was about the biggest BD fan ever. I remember the shock that fell on me and the rest of the audience.

Yes, has to be the frack to end all fracks. I really feel for the soloist - all of us who have played have been there in one form or another before.

One thing that always struck me was that being a duet, the other individual came in as if nothing ever happened.

Edited by Quad Aces

The end of the ballad. I was there for it live - my first (of many) Finals. At the time, I was about the biggest BD fan ever. I remember the shock that fell on me and the rest of the audience.

Yes, has to be the frack to end all fracks. I really feel for the soloist - all of us who have played have been there in one form or another before.

One thing that always struck me was that being a duet, the other individual came in as if nothing ever happened.

Yeah, I noticed that too. And the mistake is on the legacy recording I have, not just the original PBS recording. I was pretty young when I first saw the 89 broadcast, and then watched my tape for years. I hadn't seen any other performance, so I had no basis to judge. The funny thing was, I figured a world class drum corps could do no wrong, and I just thought it was a modern, esoteric, avante garde bugle part!

Here's another funny thing. At the end of the BD show, there's a soprano player with reddish hair, and it's sort of in a curly pony tail style (one of the soloists). As BD is about to exit the field, I'd swear Rondinero thought it was a girl at first. He says something like "...and as you can see there, there's girls too...uhhhh" and then catches himself when he realizes it's actually a guy.

• Like 1