Defending Champions Finals Performance

That would have made for an awkward 2009...

Would have been like the first regional, where Phantom got to go on last or second to last, and then got smacked down in the scores.

For what it’s worth, DCI mythology is that in 1989 only the top 5 made the PBS broadcast so if Madison, defending champs from 1988 but sitting in sixth place that year, went on last, Cadets then in 5th place would be knocked out of the broadcast so finals week, Hoppy threw a stink, lobbied votes and bullied Madison out of performing last

There’s been thread on this so a bit of searching might turn something up

• Like 1

For what it's worth, DCI mythology is that in 1989 only the top 5 made the PBS broadcast so if Madison, defending champs from 1988 but sitting in sixth place that year, went on last, Cadets then in 5th place would be knocked out of the broadcast so finals week, Hoppy threw a stink, lobbied votes and bullied Madison out of performing last

There's been thread on this so a bit of searching might turn something up

I remember when just the top five performances were aired on PBS, but I thought it aired after finals and not live, perhaps as late as Labor Day weekend, so the show could have been edited. Also, if memory serves me correctly, in 1988 only the top five aired, at least in the Boston area and we saw highlights of six through twelve in a very random order due to drawing the numbers. While I do not question that Mr. Hopkins could have made a "passionate plea" in 1989 to do away with the prior year champions performing last, as only he could do in an attempt to make sure Cadets appeared on television (hands down, he's always been the best at using publicity positively which is a major reason the corps has survived), Madison performing last would not have been his major issue since 6th place was a real possibility for Cadets. Star of Indiana had an up and down year in 1989, or perhaps the more accurate way of stating it would be up and upper year since it was very successful and they were well in position to place in the top 5 at finals and were neck and neck with Cadets all year.

For what it’s worth, DCI mythology is that in 1989 only the top 5 made the PBS broadcast so if Madison, defending champs from 1988 but sitting in sixth place that year, went on last, Cadets then in 5th place would be knocked out of the broadcast so finals week, Hoppy threw a stink, lobbied votes and bullied Madison out of performing last

There’s been thread on this so a bit of searching might turn something up

It's true that George started the Great Chicago Fire in 1871 and also led the bombing attack on Pearl Harbor; but the decision to put the corps on in Finals according to their Semifinals placements was made by longtime DCI Contest Director Bob Briske. The decision was made prior to the World Championships, but perhaps it wasn't publicized as well as it might have been.

• Like 4

"This is DCP, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

(With apologies to James Warner Bellah and Willis Goldbeck.)

• Like 1

Do I correctly recall that the defending champion could choose not to go on last? It seems to me that I remember this being discussed in the Brass Roots video that was issued in the late 1990s, with particular reference to the finals from one year in the 1970s, when for reasons I do not recall fully understanding, the defending corps strategically chose to go on before the corps that had beaten them in prelims, which somehow made it easier for them to win, they thought--do I have that right?

That's what I remember as well. So going last or not becomes the strategy that we have today.

Just for kicks

I believe I can shed a little light here. I just got off the phone

with Scott Stewart. I talk to him about once every 3-4 weeks.

I asked him about what happened in 89 because I do remember

staff addressing us on the day of Semis about the TV situation.

Here's what Scott told me. After Quarters, the DCI

directors had a quick meeting - Scott was there. The other top 5 directors told him that they

didn't feel like Madison was good enough for TV coverage and it wouldn't be

fair for a top 5 corps (like Cadets) to get dropped off of the telecast to have Madison

perform last as defending champ. So they voted to have us dropped from the coverage at the

last minute. This is from the man himself.

link

Edited by cowtown
  • Like 2

Just for kicks

I believe I can shed a little light here. I just got off the phone with Scott Stewart. I talk to him about once every 3-4 weeks. I asked him about what happened in 89 because I do remember staff addressing us on the day of Semis about the TV situation.

Here's what Scott told me. After Quarters, the DCI directors had a quick meeting - Scott was there. The other top 5 directors told him that they didn't feel like Madison was good enough for TV coverage and it wouldn't be fair for a top 5 corps (like Cadets) to get dropped off of the telecast to have Madison perform last as defending champ. So they voted to have us dropped from the coverage at the last minute. This is from the man himself.

Fascinating. However, it's also interesting to read, later in the thread, that the change to not having the defending champion go on last actually first occurred in 1988 not 1989:

Garfield DID NOT perform last in 1988 due to being defending champion. They performed last on Finals night because they drew the last position. Garfield drew for performance position just like every other corps. They just got lucky.

Is that correct?

1379014044[/url]' post='3323388']

It's true that George started the Great Chicago Fire in 1871 and also led the bombing attack on Pearl Harbor; but the decision to put the corps on in Finals according to their Semifinals placements was made by longtime DCI Contest Director Bob Briske. The decision was made prior to the World Championships, but perhaps it wasn't publicized as well as it might have been.

I didn't know George was responsible for the Chicago fire and Pearl Harbor. His hair really does look great considering his age!