Texas , Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Colorado

Kansan

What is the thought behind the 35 minimum rule for DCA?

show sponsors were getting complaints from fans about small ( and usually not good) corps at shows

• Like 1

.......and New York City is brimming with corps?

Cabs, Fusion Core, and Bushwackers are all within an hour drive of NYC, with Hurcs, Sun, and Windsor Regiment less than two hours away. Not to mention Bridgemen, Blessed Sacrament, Park City Pride, Skyliners, and Cabs on the alumni side as well.

So yes, compared to anywhere else in the country, New York City is brimming with corps.

Membership is a contantly revolving thing. I think our corps is on it's 7th or so generation since '04.

Gulf Coast and Frontier each had good runs for a while. Vigilantes, the spin off Corps of Frontier had what looked like a strong group with good fundraising ideas. I think it was the high cost of membership and constant fundraising that might have burned people out.

I hope these corps can make a comeback. Denton was a pretty good place for a show and not too far a trip from KC. I remember the member spike we had after we posted the pics from that show then the economy crashed.

Sound Sport is helping us pick up members now. I'm hoping to revitalize and reorganize our Corps so we can be a player out here when things pick up for everyone.

oh I know there are challenges...it's not easy. But some people wanted to solely blame the 35 member rule and not look in the mirror

• Like 2

You give me too much credit. As I've maybe posted twice on here in that past two years. Delusions of grandeur are all yours I'm afraid.

IMO, the 35 minimum rule was the cause. The effect is NO DCA competitive corps for the state of Texas. Which was the intent wasn't it?

As far as the TXDCP show, it still happens. Vigilantes had their show in the Dallas area as well. But rules being what the rules are, there's just no affiliations with DCA. Or intent to even try.

Austin Stars have pretty much morphed into a color guard. World Gone Mad is still around and strong in the Austin area. Not 35 minimum strong, and the instrumentation would never fly in DCA land. But still playing ball 7+ years later. I'm not sure about GCS, they hooked up with the local college, and after a few years I guess things didn't pan out.

The fact of the matter is that without the competitive factor, there is zero motivation to leave town. With 200 miles between corps, it's an 8 hour drive round trip and it has no net benefit in terms of "recruiting". And yet two years after my last significant post and Jeff is still Jeff. I suppose I should thank DCA, as I no longer spend thousands per year and hundreds of hours to fail at getting DCA to do so much as lift a pencil and scribble.

For the record, I wasn't giving you credit at all. I was refering to the never ending fallacy of your semi annual rants you used to post. Yet here again you blame the 35 member rule. YOu refuse to say that maybe recruiting approaches weren't working, that maybe staff wasn't appealing to members. You just harp back on 35 member rule, which, by the way, for the billionth time I've told you, was not to destroy drum corps in Texas. It was because fans...paying customers...complained to many long time show hosts that smaller corps that, well.....were not good at all, were not appealing to see and pay money for. Imagine that.

Nice to see after two years you continue to ignore many of the VALID points I continue to lob your way. I know recruiting isn't easy...I have done it for drum corps and I do it to this day for a marching band circuit. if you aren't providing a value, people don't want to go there, plain and simple.

I'll give you a perfect example....Govies. Rarely more than 45 people out there. Quality corps, good staff, good designers...and year in and year out they excel and are, IMO, the best continous A Class corps in DCA's history. While yes they don't really want to go to Open Class, they're still never huge for A Class.

Another example...Shenandoah Sound...a corps trapped between two regions, the northeast and the southeast. Also rarely over 45 people on the field, and to date, not an A class finalist, but every year they grow a little and improve a little. Obviously people find value going to them.

So as always Shadow, thank you for playing the stick your head in the sand game. We'll await your next post where you ignore the serious questions and points lobbed your way.

• Like 3

You give me too much credit. As I've maybe posted twice on here in that past two years. Delusions of grandeur are all yours I'm afraid.

IMO, the 35 minimum rule was the cause. The effect is NO DCA competitive corps for the state of Texas. Which was the intent wasn't it?

As far as the TXDCP show, it still happens. Vigilantes had their show in the Dallas area as well. But rules being what the rules are, there's just no affiliations with DCA. Or intent to even try.

Austin Stars have pretty much morphed into a color guard. World Gone Mad is still around and strong in the Austin area. Not 35 minimum strong, and the instrumentation would never fly in DCA land. But still playing ball 7+ years later. I'm not sure about GCS, they hooked up with the local college, and after a few years I guess things didn't pan out.

The fact of the matter is that without the competitive factor, there is zero motivation to leave town. With 200 miles between corps, it's an 8 hour drive round trip and it has no net benefit in terms of "recruiting". And yet two years after my last significant post and Jeff is still Jeff. I suppose I should thank DCA, as I no longer spend thousands per year and hundreds of hours to fail at getting DCA to do so much as lift a pencil and scribble.

Paging Gary Matczak... paging Gary Matczak...

He's all yours, brother. Bring on the lyrics. :tongue:

• Like 2

For the record, I wasn't giving you credit at all. I was refering to the never ending fallacy of your semi annual rants you used to post. Yet here again you blame the 35 member rule. YOu refuse to say that maybe recruiting approaches weren't working, that maybe staff wasn't appealing to members. You just harp back on 35 member rule, which, by the way, for the billionth time I've told you, was not to destroy drum corps in Texas. It was because fans...paying customers...complained to many long time show hosts that smaller corps that, well.....were not good at all, were not appealing to see and pay money for. Imagine that.

Nice to see after two years you continue to ignore many of the VALID points I continue to lob your way. I know recruiting isn't easy...I have done it for drum corps and I do it to this day for a marching band circuit. if you aren't providing a value, people don't want to go there, plain and simple.

I'll give you a perfect example....Govies. Rarely more than 45 people out there. Quality corps, good staff, good designers...and year in and year out they excel and are, IMO, the best continous A Class corps in DCA's history. While yes they don't really want to go to Open Class, they're still never huge for A Class.

Another example...Shenandoah Sound...a corps trapped between two regions, the northeast and the southeast. Also rarely over 45 people on the field, and to date, not an A class finalist, but every year they grow a little and improve a little. Obviously people find value going to them.

So as always Shadow, thank you for playing the stick your head in the sand game. We'll await your next post where you ignore the serious questions and points lobbed your way.

I can't help but think the 35 member rule was directed at Shenandoah Sound. From what I could tell they were the smallest corps for a long time. I'm glad to see they have gone on to grow their corps to an acceptable level.

• Like 2

This is just a little samba

Built upon a single note

Other notes are sure to follow

But the root is still that note

Now this new note is the consequence of the one we've just been through

As i'm bound to be the unavoidable consequence of you

There's so many people who can talk and talk and talk

And just say nothing or nearly nothing

I have used up all the scale i know and at the end i've come

To nothing i mean nothing

So i come back to my first note as i must come back to you

I will pour into that one note all the love i feel for you

Any one who wants the whole show show do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ci-do

He will find himself with no show better play the note you know!

• Like 5

I can't help but think the 35 member rule was directed at Shenandoah Sound. From what I could tell they were the smallest corps for a long time. I'm glad to see they have gone on to grow their corps to an acceptable level.

To be honest...no. Shenandoah wasn't the target. it did however force them to expand their recruiting effortsand improve in quality.

• Like 1

This is just a little samba

Built upon a single note

Other notes are sure to follow

But the root is still that note

Now this new note is the consequence of the one we've just been through

As i'm bound to be the unavoidable consequence of you

There's so many people who can talk and talk and talk

And just say nothing or nearly nothing

I have used up all the scale i know and at the end i've come

To nothing i mean nothing

So i come back to my first note as i must come back to you

I will pour into that one note all the love i feel for you

Any one who wants the whole show show do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ci-do

He will find himself with no show better play the note you know!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Like 1

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The world is in the correct order again now

• Like 1