Cavaliers Cell Phone Question

yes you do have the right to communicate the way you want BUT a corps does not have to change their rules for you or any parent. As someone else said If you dont like the policy , which corps FOR ANY REASON have this right, move on to another. Corps also can not teach all the responsible things one many want...thats a parents job.

Just for the record..as I said its also social media BUT its the worst thing watching all the texting when the expereince is about the team etc etc.

personally If I ever see texting while im teaching or talking to corps members, lets just say it will be a long time before I see it from that person again...No matter whos on the other end.

I'm not asking a corps to change their rules no matter how dumb or irresponsible I feel they might be. I have been consistent about describing what I feel is reasonable cell phone use. I never said anything about using a cell phone during rehearsal or at any point when there was a teaching situation or management/staff speaking to MM's. That to me is particularly rude. If, during a rehearsal time or performance time, an emergency arose, I am sure I would be able to reach my kid. If something happened to him/her on the field during rehearsal say, I would want and expect my kids to be able to call me when they had their first opportunity. I don't want to hear someone elses veriosn of how my kid is. Kind of like the 100 different stories referred to by another poster.

I agree with you about when you're seeing MM's texting or talking while you are teaching or speaking to them. Maybe treat cell phone use like many states have begun doing...no texting while driving. No texting/talking while on corps rehearsal time or after lights out (so not to disturb other MM's). I still reserve the right to call my kid for an emergency (stressing emergency). And if my kid wanted to go to a corps that had that policy, they would not be allowed to, especially if I'm paying over $2,500 for them to march there.

Again, I just don't see why people are getting so up in arms about this. Firstly, it's not a new rule, they only did not have it for around 2 of the last 13 or so years. Secondly, it is not required of you to march the corps if you don't agree with something they do. Again, there are many other outstanding drum corps that offer amazing experiences as well as cell phone use. This is a widely known policy of the corps and has been for some time. If you choose to allow your child to march with The Cavaliers you should know their rules and policies beforehand. If your child is not marching the corps then I don't see why you should be getting increasingly more angry about something that does not effect you personally. Just my two cents.

Edited by drummer5485
  • Like 2

And if my kid wanted to go to a corps that had that policy, they would not be allowed to, especially if I'm paying over $2,500 for them to march there.

Corps policy is stated on their website and in any mail out information given to prospective members. If the corps your child wants to march with does not allow cell phones then you can do one of two things. A: Not allow them to march that corps, it's your money and you have a right to spend it how you see fit and I can't fault you for that one bit. Or B: If it has been their dream to be in that corps you can allow them to march there and fulfill their dream while knowing that there are a multitude of ways to contact them while on tour. Your child, your choice and no one should fault you either way for how you choose.

Edited by drummer5485
  • Like 2

The question from the OP was about a particular policy implemented by the members of a specific corps. If someone outside that organization has problems with it, their concerns are of no more importance than whether they like a given corps' choice of uniform colors.

I'd imagine that any parent who had the same level of concern about being able to contact little Zach or Lauren (the 2010s equivalent to Johnny and Susie cool.gif) every day would try to steer their kid to another organization. But in this case, the corps has had the policy off and on for a number of years, and the members seem to like it well enough that they voluntarily re-instated it.

So yes, exactly: what's the problem here?

And I mentioned my OPINION was not directed at that particular corps policy but a cell phone policy in general. And why the condescening attitude in your response and subtle overstating of what I said; "contacting little Zach or Lauren every day". That's not what I said or even inferred. And, still...what's the real problem here? You didn't support what the policy is, other than to say it's the policy and they a right to it. Yes they do, but what is the reason for it? What's the problem that warrants it?

Corps policy is stated on their website and in any mail out information given to prospective members. If the corps your child wants to march with does not allow cell phones then you can do one of two things. A: Not allow them to march that corps, it's your money and you have a right to spend it how you see fit and I can't fault you for that one bit. Or B: If it has been their dream to be in that corps you can allow them to march there and fulfill their dream while knowing that there are a multitude of ways to contact them while on tour. Your child, your choice and no one should fault you either way for how you choose.

Agreed, and it should be noted that while this might deprive a specific child from marching the corps of their dreams, there are a few hundred others trying out...one of whom would gleefully accept the position still available because someone else's parent(s) didn't like the cell phone policy.

As my father said when I turned down the lutefisk..."That just leaves more for the rest of us."

I'm not asking a corps to change their rules no matter how dumb or irresponsible I feel they might be. I have been consistent about describing what I feel is reasonable cell phone use. I never said anything about using a cell phone during rehearsal or at any point when there was a teaching situation or management/staff speaking to MM's. That to me is particularly rude. If, during a rehearsal time or performance time, an emergency arose, I am sure I would be able to reach my kid. If something happened to him/her on the field during rehearsal say, I would want and expect my kids to be able to call me when they had their first opportunity. I don't want to hear someone elses veriosn of how my kid is. Kind of like the 100 different stories referred to by another poster.

I agree with you about when you're seeing MM's texting or talking while you are teaching or speaking to them. Maybe treat cell phone use like many states have begun doing...no texting while driving. No texting/talking while on corps rehearsal time or after lights out (so not to disturb other MM's). I still reserve the right to call my kid for an emergency (stressing emergency). And if my kid wanted to go to a corps that had that policy, they would not be allowed to, especially if I'm paying over $2,500 for them to march there.

as I said you have every right to have you kid where you want them. Just remember in most of these corps 90% of the time they are on that field and nowhere to even carry a cell phone . During down time is another story....As I keep saying but noone addressing its not just the calls its the social media and news group stuff that corps have had real issues with

as I said you have every right to have you kid where you want them. Just remember in most of these corps 90% of the time they are on that field and nowhere to even carry a cell phone . During down time is another story....As I keep saying but noone addressing its not just the calls its the social media and news group stuff that corps have had real issues with

like who said what about us on DCP....

...And if my kid wanted to go to a corps that had that policy, they would not be allowed to, especially if I'm paying over $2,500 for them to march there.

... I still reserve the right to call my kid for an emergency (stressing emergency).

This reasoning has always bothered me even now that I am a parent. The word 'right' has a very distinct and narrow legal meaning. I agree that you have the 'right' to not allow your son to march and the 'right' to contact your son if he is 17 or under; I am a firm advocate of Parental Rights. However, after he turns 18 he is an adult and at that point you can refuse to pay for The Cavaliers, or pay for University, or food, or shelter, and can even kick him out of the house if he disobeys you, but your allowance or dis-allowance for his actions as well as your contact with him at that point becomes a 'privilege' and is no longer a 'right'. Also, nowhere, in any jurisdiction, local, regional, or national is there a situation where your child, or even you, has a 'right' to carry a cell phone wherever you so please; that is also a 'privilege'. 'Rights' can only be denied after due process of law either through narrow legislation (even though you have the right to freedom of speech you cannot yell Fire in a crowded theater) or jurisdiction (you lose some rights after conviction of a felony); however The Cavaliers, and even Movie Theaters, certainly can curb the 'privilege' of cell phones at their discretion.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2