Was there use of electronics discussions in 85?

Ghost

It didn't get that much talk because back then, we had no Internet, no Drum Corps Planet, and those who subscribed to Drum Corps World typically didn't get it first class, so there was quite a delay to read any show reports. The corps was 20th place out of 26 corps in the class, which probably didn't contribute as much to any discussion as if one of the top corps had done so.

The discussion, as I remember it, pretty much was along the lines of, "Hey, did you hear? Boston Crusaders is using a synthesizer." There was no angst among fans because I believe the vast majority didn't think it was going to open up any floodgates...that it would be a "one time and done" thing.

It didn't get that much talk because back then, we had no Internet, no Drum Corps Planet, and those who subscribed to Drum Corps World typically didn't get it first class, so there was quite a delay to read any show reports. The corps was 20th place out of 26 corps in the class, which probably didn't contribute as much to any discussion as if one of the top corps had done so.

The discussion, as I remember it, pretty much was along the lines of, "Hey, did you hear? Boston Crusaders is using a synthesizer." There was no angst among fans because I believe the vast majority didn't think it was going to open up any floodgates...that it would be a "one time and done" thing.

Same year... 1985... DCA's Empire Statesmen used an electric guitar in their show. From what I remember, it was pretty much the same reaction as you described here regarding the Crusaders in DCI.

The major "buzz".. such as it was... regarding the Statesmen's situation was that they took a two-point penalty in the DCA shows in which they used the guitar, since electronics were against the rules then... including the DCA Championship prelims and finals. It was the first year the Statesmen made DCA Finals, even with the penalty tacked on.

If corps today were willing to take a two-point penalty every time they used a synthesizer, I'd be all for it. No reward without risk!

I've always loved this arrangement + guts to use synth & take a penalty (albeit when it was fairly meaningless). I also think this is the perfect example of designers feeling they absolutely must use synth to convey the musical intent of a production, and I agree that Axel F by Harold Faltermeyer (side note: SO MANY people think that piece is written by Herby Hancock) NEEDS to have synth.

• Like 1

Mr Boo, you pretty much got it right on the head. Here's a little back story; It was a synthesizer, a small and simple and very portable Roland. There was much discussion the night before prelims about using the synth or not. A lawyer (who happened to be staying in the same hotel and is a DC person) was actually consulted and over a number of beverages it was deemed that the corps position (as you mentioned) would not be impacted negatively by an assured penalty. The crowd, as it were, was not overly wow like " Holy @@#$% look it's a synthesizer they have there". It was more like "Hey...cool.. an electronic piano". Then it was one and done until it all came into play several years later.

• Like 2

I don't recall it being a synth for Boston -- it was the use of batteries to run the resonators on the vibes on that Herbie Hancock tune.... wasn't it?

As a vibist, I feel fairly confident in stating that the use of resonator fans on a single vibes would make an imperceptible difference outside and would not change the tone quality of the sound.

But then, what do I know? I can't figure out why we need four vibes and five marimbas in every pit when we've got amplification, when we need bigger trucks for the haul and when legalized electronics can alter the sound of any percussion instrument to create any sound imaginable. It's something I've long referred to as the "arms race." Why does one corps, even on a restricted budget, need so many instruments? My opinion (which I reserve the right to be wrong) is, "Duh...because the next guys have it. We can't let them be the only ones."

And don't get me started about some corps removing the synthetic bars of the marimbas prior to contest performances and replacing them with genuine (and very expensive) rosewood bars. I believe I've got a pretty good ear and although I can easily tell the difference between synthetic bars and rosewood bars in a recital-like setting, the difference from more than two feet away in a stadium environment escapes me.

And while I'm ranting, (because it feels so good to finally get this off my chest), what's with the instructors having a triangle player do the repetitive waving in-and-out hand motion after striking a triangle to create a vibrato effect during the sound decay? Really? On a drum corps field? And what about the time I noticed someone bending over a vibes and doing a "waa-waa" reverb effect over the bar by rapidly opening and closing their mouth? Are you kidding me?

Okay...that felt kind of good.

Mike (calling for logic and sensibility on the field, knowing it will never happen) Boo