Troopers 2014

I have a friend on the troopers who said that they had the day off today and are gearing up for tour after their last rehearsal day tomorrow! Can't wait to see what they do with Shenandoah

Shenandoah seems a good fit for the Troopers as a musical choice song... I'm just a sucker for this old classic ballad.

I have a friend on the troopers who said that they had the day off today and are gearing up for tour after their last rehearsal day tomorrow! Can't wait to see what they do with Shenandoah

They are having a preview dress run and rehearsal tonight. Hoping to make it there.

Looking forward to seeing them in Rockford. Hoping they push through to a new level this year!

Looking forward to seeing them in Rockford. Hoping they push through to a new level this year!

Looks like Rockford is sold out! Have fun!

Sorry. No pictures. They did an early (5'ish) full dress run that was too early for my schedule. But I did watch the post-run ensemble rehearsal and final run.

Really good show. Great arrangements and flow. I cannot remember hearing Troopers brass this strong this early. Very rich sound. 16 tubas (one currently injured) bringing some real depth. Not really being subsidized with any thunderous goo. But all brass sections have their moments too. That being said, it's not perfect, as they are really challenging and pushing this group. Not settling at all for a "hey, we are ahead of our normal pace. Good for us!" attitude. Guard is improved. Drums are good as well. But I do have some concerns over how effective the perc book will be at the end of the year when clean and maxed. It's tight and musical. But there is not a ton of range or depth if it comes to fighting for an elusive finals spot. Also, the corps proper needs to move better. This is their biggest area for improvement. Body, then managing paths ... spacial awareness.

In a vacuum, not having seen any other shows live, the corps and show have Saturday-night material. But ... the season is not in a vacuum. Here's hoping. They are definitely putting in the right work.

• Like 1

All fingers, toes, and even EYES now permanently crossed...well, not permanently, but until Aug. 9.

Best of luck, Troop. And prayers for safe travel. (Yes, I DO extend this to all Corps for the summer months.)

Sorry. No pictures. They did an early (5'ish) full dress run that was too early for my schedule. But I did watch the post-run ensemble rehearsal and final run.

Really good show. Great arrangements and flow. I cannot remember hearing Troopers brass this strong this early. Very rich sound. 16 tubas (one currently injured) bringing some real depth. Not really being subsidized with any thunderous goo. But all brass sections have their moments too. That being said, it's not perfect, as they are really challenging and pushing this group. Not settling at all for a "hey, we are ahead of our normal pace. Good for us!" attitude. Guard is improved. Drums are good as well. But I do have some concerns over how effective the perc book will be at the end of the year when clean and maxed. It's tight and musical. But there is not a ton of range or depth if it comes to fighting for an elusive finals spot. Also, the corps proper needs to move better. This is their biggest area for improvement. Body, then managing paths ... spacial awareness.

In a vacuum, not having seen any other shows live, the corps and show have Saturday-night material. But ... the season is not in a vacuum. Here's hoping. They are definitely putting in the right work.

This Trooper fan thanks you for the insightful assessment. About the perc book: I don't have any qualifications to assess its "range or depth," esp. compared to other corps', but one thing to keep in mind is that this is a Rennick book, as was last year's. This is a book written by an arranger who knows exactly what the Troop line played last year and is part of an instruction staff that is nearly identical to 2013. As was the plan, the dials on all captions -- drums, brass, guard, drill -- were turned up for 2014. I know some of the stuff I heard flying out of the battery during camp season was unlike anything I've ever heard a Troopers line attempt before.

Can the MMs handle it? We'll see. Word flowing out from Troopland is that the kids are responding to the challenges very well.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 2

The Troopers. Show night. Life's good. Bring it Troop!