Why doesn't DCI

just make an app for fan network, or just the website in general. I feel like the fan network website is outdated, and going on the mobile site for DCI is a pain. The BD app is pretty sweet- you can access scores, schedules, videos and pictures. Fans can post things or send messages to members. I think DCI could really use that as an example to step up their game.

BD has more uncommitted revenue than DCI, and thus can afford more of this kind of thing. DCI sends the vast majority of its revenue to the corps already, and certain of the corps would like DCI to send even more.

So to answer your question, I guess you either need to convince BD to expand their app and media infrastructure to encompass all of DCI, or you need to convince the member corps to allow DCI to retain more of its revenue to invest in this kind of initiative.

Well the other solution is to charge for the app to cover the cost of developing and maintaining it. Of course if it was an app specific to the fan network they could just raise the price of a subscription a few dollars to cover the costs and make the app so it is essentially useless if you don't have a valid FN login. That might be viable.

One for the DCI site in general may not be unless they offer more content. I wouldn't pay for an app that just gave me scores and access to articles that I can get for free online.

FWIW...

DCI did try the app route for a bit. It was contracted out at a favorable rate in exchange for ads. Without more details, I can tell you that DCI heard lots of "why isn't this updated" and "why doesn't this work for Android version 2.1.6, 2.2, 3, and every other thing".

Apps are a losing battle for content unless you have a dedicated development team. The design age should tell you that there are no resources for something like that. I can tell you that IT isn't a cost center for DCI, and that's rare. The main problem is the one that has been following around for a while. Do you turn it over to a third-party that has the resources to develop and test apps for *all the phones* and give up nearly every dollar they make, or do you play it small, try and eek out some web presence in mobile, and keep a much larger piece of the pie?

It's not a simple question, but it's probably pretty clear that there aren't going to be a lot more subscriptions (thus, revenue) because DCI "makes an app" - certainly not enough to cover the effort of doing it well enough for DCI fans. If they do, it'll be some sort of web page shelled content that you may as well use on your phone browser anyhow.

Incrementally, they're going to keep trying to improve the mobile experience, but the app "route" is a rabbit hole where money disappears.

• Like 3

FWIW...

DCI did try the app route for a bit. It was contracted out at a favorable rate in exchange for ads. Without more details, I can tell you that DCI heard lots of "why isn't this updated" and "why doesn't this work for Android version 2.1.6, 2.2, 3, and every other thing".

Apps are a losing battle for content unless you have a dedicated development team. The design age should tell you that there are no resources for something like that. I can tell you that IT isn't a cost center for DCI, and that's rare. The main problem is the one that has been following around for a while. Do you turn it over to a third-party that has the resources to develop and test apps for *all the phones* and give up nearly every dollar they make, or do you play it small, try and eek out some web presence in mobile, and keep a much larger piece of the pie?

It's not a simple question, but it's probably pretty clear that there aren't going to be a lot more subscriptions (thus, revenue) because DCI "makes an app" - certainly not enough to cover the effort of doing it well enough for DCI fans. If they do, it'll be some sort of web page shelled content that you may as well use on your phone browser anyhow.

Incrementally, they're going to keep trying to improve the mobile experience, but the app "route" is a rabbit hole where money disappears.

I always appreciate hearing informative insight: thank you for your contribution!!

IMO, as long as I can easily find scores I'm OK with DCI's mobile app. As for Fan Network, as long as I can stream video on my iPad or iPhone I'm fine. It is rare that I would want to live stream shows on a mobile device, so I don't think I care if I can live stream or not. We'll always want "more" and "better" out of our products w/DCI, be it shows, performances, or tech. I think DCI generally does well with what they have and more importantly I think they've shown that they are constantly striving to improve. As a FN customer that makes me happy, and I look forward to continually using their services

as far as the FN, minus tech glitches last year, i'm very happy, and i'm sure they are well aware of those glitches so they are combatted in advance this year. as far as an app, i'm not sure it's needed. I mean sure I can get youtube on my phone, but i'd rather watch it on the ipad or laptop