The Cadets - 2014

everything that has come out so far about this show has this cadets fan scared to death of another 2006/2008/2010.

just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it.

and i would argue that in 2013, the props DEFINITELY cost them points simply because they looked bad and hauling them around was a real drain on the performers.

Something I found a bit interesting (I was only peripherally listening) - it seemed Hop really didn't like the choreography/body movement the horns do now, but he admitted they do it because they 'have to' to get the demand up. Also spoke a bit about the Cadets don't go "as far" with it due to the uniforms and somewhat needing to project the military roots of the uniform and certain movements wouldn't really fit with that nor would be easy to do in the unis. In general it seemed to me they have quite a bit of internal arguments about watering down the brass to accommodate the visual vs. the other way around. Something musically really clean all of a sudden gets "choreography" added and its dirty and just unable to be cleaned up.. and in a lot of cases sounded like the visual wins out.

Edited by frachel
  • Like 3

The Cadets have struggled with that for a while - the body movement vs. military uniform idea. Eventually they're going to have to cut the cord and try something that both honors the heritage and frees up the visual. That said, I have no idea what that would be.

Santa Clara had their own version of this back in '09, when they decided to change uniforms. They originally wanted to go back to the 80's jackets, but doing modern choreography and drill, they just didn't fit or look right. So instead they went with the 97-01, more slimmed down version.

Mike

The Cadets have struggled with that for a while - the body movement vs. military uniform idea. Eventually they're going to have to cut the cord and try something that both honors the heritage and frees up the visual. That said, I have no idea what that would be.

Santa Clara had their own version of this back in '09, when they decided to change uniforms. They originally wanted to go back to the 80's jackets, but doing modern choreography and drill, they just didn't fit or look right. So instead they went with the 97-01, more slimmed down version.

Mike

It was drum corps armageddon back in 2011 when they announced they would be changing the uniforms. Obviously things calmed down once they were seen in action. But when (not if) the day comes that the Cadets make a wholesale change to get "updated" and fit in with the current visual trends and demands, expect that fire and brimstone to return.

While I really dig their look and like that they're one of the few remaining corps that still have the traditional "feel" about them, it's only a matter of time.

everything that has come out so far about this show has this cadets fan scared to death of another 2006/2008/2010.

just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it.

and i would argue that in 2013, the props DEFINITELY cost them points simply because they looked bad and hauling them around was a real drain on the performers.

Unless you've heard the judges recordings or you were an actual judge on the field, you have no way of knowing this.

Edited by 2000Cadet

Something I found a bit interesting (I was only peripherally listening) - it seemed Hop really didn't like the choreography/body movement the horns do now, but he admitted they do it because they 'have to' to get the demand up. Also spoke a bit about the Cadets don't go "as far" with it due to the uniforms and somewhat needing to project the military roots of the uniform and certain movements wouldn't really fit with that nor would be easy to do in the unis. In general it seemed to me they have quite a bit of internal arguments about watering down the brass to accommodate the visual vs. the other way around. Something musically really clean all of a sudden gets "choreography" added and its dirty and just unable to be cleaned up.. and in a lot of cases sounded like the visual wins out.

I agree with Hop. Choreography grates on my nerves endlessly. It's even worse in WGI. I look forward to the day when this fad meets the gruesome death it deserves. Hate it. Hate it. HATE IT!

Unless you've heard the judges recordings or you were an actual judge on the field, you have no way of knowing this.

You're right. We have no way of knowing for certain without having first hand knowledge from the tapes or the judges. Given the time and effort it took to clean the props, however, it would be intellectually dishonest to say these contraptions had no effect on visual scores at all. It certainly could not have been the show design's inability to convey the side by side motif. Even from a bad vantage point, it was plain as day. No, the casual observer could see the lack of color contrast between the silks and the towers as well as the positioning of the props adversely affected the visual message.

Edited by wallace
  • Like 1

You're right. We have no way of knowing for certain without having first hand knowledge from the tapes or the judges. Given the time and effort it took to clean the props, however, it would be intellectually dishonest to say these contraptions had no effect on visual scores at all. It certainly could not have been the show design's inability to convey the side by side motif. Even from a bad vantage point, it was plain as day. No, the casual observer could see the lack of color contrast between the silks and the towers as well as the positioning of the props adversely affected the visual message.

I've seen corps with worse colors win a championship. Try again.

Edited by 2000Cadet

I've seen corps with worse colors win a championship. Try again.

Wow! What a rebuttal... You must have been in debate club. :tic:

IDK, I still think when you play the follow game, you start to lose the traits that make you unique and great in the first place. With respect to the Cadets, do what you do best, great drill, move well, play great, don't water down the difficulty and create that unique, crisp visual kaleidoscopic product you know how to do. Let the other guys roll around on the field. If they have those fundamentals in place, then I don't care about stages and narration, but the latter are never going to take a mediocre show and make it great. I remember when watching Cadets in the past and the audience would laugh because what they were doing was so difficult, in such a different league, it was super human. Just bring back the maroon, gold and white summer gods!

• Like 1