going from open class to world class

Saw your age but don't know your location. Don't forget to consider the All Age side if marching a season in Jr corps isn't going to work out and doing All Age is possible.. Know it's not what you are looking for but beats losing a year of doing any type of corps.

s/ trombone guy who did Sr corps aged 16-22 and sister is also a trombone player

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

a) You certainly can hurt yourself if you choose the wrong corps; just ask those who were burned by Revolution, Teal Sound, the new VK, ...

b) There are, as stated, some bad-apple corps out there; so sometimes 'not marching', and devoting the $3,000 - $5,000 which would go for dues and expenses, could be better used to take private lessons.

c) This is why doing diligent research prior to auditioning is vital.

Sigh. Yes, and you'll never get hit by a meteor if you never leave your cave.

I started from the assumption, as the OP did, that neither the Raiders nor Legends are about to fold, and that either would provide a satisfying, fun experience. Please share directly with the OP if you have information to the contrary. A couple generations back, kids went into whatever local CYO or VFW was closest and joined up with the local drum and bugle corps -- no shopping around, no diligent pre-audition research, no trepidation . . . and no other choice. I think it's safe to say the vast majority of those kids enjoyed the heck out of their time with their one and only drum-corps alternative. Yes, different corps provide a slightly different vibe and experience and personality, some better suited to an individual's personality than another, and if one has the means, sampling several before deciding which contract to accept can be a wise, if extravagant, policy.

As for me, I don't regard a single member corps of any division of DCI, or of DCA, to be a "bad apple." They are slightly different apples, none of them bad. If I were of marching age again, there are some corps I would have more interest in joining, others less, but not because any of them would make my summer miserable.

Do you think that not marching at all would be better preparation than marching?

Good point. I should've thought about that.

Saw your age but don't know your location. Don't forget to consider the All Age side if marching a season in Jr corps isn't going to work out and doing All Age is possible.. Know it's not what you are looking for but beats losing a year of doing any type of corps.

s/ trombone guy who did Sr corps aged 16-22 and sister is also a trombone player

I'm in Ohio and I considered auditioning for the buccaneers but I really want to experience sleeping on gym floors and tour buses, and just being away from civilization for the summer while I'm of age so decided that I'm going to audition for them after I age out :)

Son is doing that, though he has a few more years of eligibility than you. Raiders this season, and probably 1-2 more, before taking his shot at the World Class corps.

Good thing he's getting an early start. I regret not auditioing for the 2014 season but I need to start saving because unfortunately the money isn't just going to be handed to me

... I need to start saving because unfortunately the money isn't just going to be handed to me

I would actually say 'fortunately' the money is not just going to be handed to you. You will have a greater understanding of that after you have worked many years of your life to procure your own resources. As you become an older adult things have a far deeper meaning when you worked hard to pay your own way when engaged in the privileges of this life.

Not sure of your exact financial situation, although it looks like you would have problems funding the 2014 season. You might keep in contact with some of the Open Class corps, as sometimes they have a late season opening(due to injury or other situations that may arise), and sometimes offer a greatly reduced tour fee for the last couple of weeks of the season.

Another option is to look for sponsorship, sometimes large corporations might be willing to help out, and if you ask here on the boards, a lot of people can sometimes point you in the right direction and help you get extra funds to march.

Also, have you considered volunteering for one of the corps this year? Whether it be Bluecoats, or one of the other corps you are considering marching, the experience as a volunteer can be invaluable. Any time you can help out with a corps, you will gain extra knowledge into the corps, and see how rehearsals work, and what is required, and will definitely help you during your auditions, wherever you go. And if I remember right, someone here on the boards had mentioned a few years ago, they didn't manage to make their dream corps, but instead of holding their head, they went ahead and volunteered for that corps. During the season, there was an injury and left a position open. That volunteer, because of their hard work for the corps, managed to get that open position.

I don't think it matters who you march with, I am sure you will have an amazing time with any corps. Best of luck whichever direction your life and drum corps experience take you.

• Like 1

Not sure of your exact financial situation, although it looks like you would have problems funding the 2014 season. You might keep in contact with some of the Open Class corps, as sometimes they have a late season opening(due to injury or other situations that may arise), and sometimes offer a greatly reduced tour fee for the last couple of weeks of the season.

Another option is to look for sponsorship, sometimes large corporations might be willing to help out, and if you ask here on the boards, a lot of people can sometimes point you in the right direction and help you get extra funds to march.

Also, have you considered volunteering for one of the corps this year? Whether it be Bluecoats, or one of the other corps you are considering marching, the experience as a volunteer can be invaluable. Any time you can help out with a corps, you will gain extra knowledge into the corps, and see how rehearsals work, and what is required, and will definitely help you during your auditions, wherever you go. And if I remember right, someone here on the boards had mentioned a few years ago, they didn't manage to make their dream corps, but instead of holding their head, they went ahead and volunteered for that corps. During the season, there was an injury and left a position open. That volunteer, because of their hard work for the corps, managed to get that open position.

I don't think it matters who you march with, I am sure you will have an amazing time with any corps. Best of luck whichever direction your life and drum corps experience take you.

I will definetly need sponsors because there is no way possible that I could come up with that king of money in less than a year. I've started saving and it's going to be hard work but im willing to do it.

• Like 1

First of all, kudos to you for asking! You'll typically find that a corps such as the Bluecoats will have members that, even if new to the Bluecoats, are not new to drum corps. So, getting experience and development will certainly be a terrific benefit to you. And, by the way, the Bluecoats are tremendous organization and a great pick to target as your destination corps.

A corps not mentioned so far is Music City. They're back in 2014 and still have some spots to fill. Whatever corps you begin with, be committed to them and don't worry about who you may end up with down the road. You'll enjoy the drum corps experience with any corps.

Good luck to you!

• Like 1

First of all, kudos to you for asking! You'll typically find that a corps such as the Bluecoats will have members that, even if new to the Bluecoats, are not new to drum corps. So, getting experience and development will certainly be a terrific benefit to you. And, by the way, the Bluecoats are tremendous organization and a great pick to target as your destination corps.

A corps not mentioned so far is Music City. They're back in 2014 and still have some spots to fill. Whatever corps you begin with, be committed to them and don't worry about who you may end up with down the road. You'll enjoy the drum corps experience with any corps.

Good luck to you!

Thanks! I had considered auditioning for music city but Nashville is a 9 hour drive from my house and I wouldn't have a way there once a month.