going from open class to world class

Thanks! I had considered auditioning for music city but Nashville is a 9 hour drive from my house and I wouldn't have a way there once a month.

A couple things to add: 1) You may find that there are others who live in your area that you could car-pool with. I'd say check out a camp first. Then, if you like it, check with the director or talk to others about sharing a ride with someone. 2) You may also be able to catch on with a corps while they're in move-in's. You'll probably find a number of spots available somewhere. The important thing is to consider the possibilities and look for ways to accomplish what you want to achieve. There's usually options.

A couple things to add: 1) You may find that there are others who live in your area that you could car-pool with. I'd say check out a camp first. Then, if you like it, check with the director or talk to others about sharing a ride with someone. 2) You may also be able to catch on with a corps while they're in move-in's. You'll probably find a number of spots available somewhere. The important thing is to consider the possibilities and look for ways to accomplish what you want to achieve. There's usually options.

True and I've tried explaining this to my mom but she refuses to let me go into a complete strangers car driving to another state. I have no problem with it but she's totally against that and she has told me that I can go somewhere as far as 4 maybe 5 hour by car and if I want to go any further, I'll be buying every single plane ticket and I don't have enough time to raise over 6-7 thousand dollars.

I think I've come to the conclusion that for the 2015 season I'm going to audition for bloo and if they tell me that I need to march somewhere else and come back next year then I'll audition for legends.

I think I've come to the conclusion that for the 2015 season I'm going to audition for bloo and if they tell me that I need to march somewhere else and come back next year then I'll audition for legends.

True and I've tried explaining this to my mom but she refuses to let me go into a complete strangers car driving to another state. I have no problem with it but she's totally against that and she has told me that I can go somewhere as far as 4 maybe 5 hour by car and if I want to go any further, I'll be buying every single plane ticket and I don't have enough time to raise over 6-7 thousand dollars.

Each year, the Bluecoats have a "Blue Way" camp at their spring training site at beautiful Denison University in Granville, Ohio. Keep an eye open www.bluecoats.com for event info. They typically hold the camp the first week of June. I don't know the dates for 2014, but keep a lookout for them.

Here's the info from the 2013 camp:

THE BLUE WAY Interactive Educational Experience, a hands-on weekend clinic for brass, tenor, snare, guard, and drum major students held June 1-2 on the beautiful campus of Denison University in Granville, Ohio.

Participating students will learn the methods and techniques necessary for success in the marching arts from our talented staff of educators. They will also have the opportunity to rehearse and perform segments of the 2013 Program side by side with members of the 2013 Bluecoats. Whether you plan to audition for the Bluecoats in the future and want to get a taste of what to expect, or you just want to learn what it takes to be the best - THE BLUE WAY is for you!

Hope to see you there or at any one of the 3 great shows the corps has this year in Akron, Pittsburgh, and Massilon.

Good luck to you!

• Like 1

Each year, the Bluecoats have a "Blue Way" camp at their spring training site at beautiful Denison University in Granville, Ohio. Keep an eye open www.bluecoats.com for event info. They typically hold the camp the first week of June. I don't know the dates for 2014, but keep a lookout for them.

THE BLUE WAY Interactive Educational Experience, a hands-on weekend clinic for brass, tenor, snare, guard, and drum major students held June 1-2 on the beautiful campus of Denison University in Granville, Ohio.

Participating students will learn the methods and techniques necessary for success in the marching arts from our talented staff of educators. They will also have the opportunity to rehearse and perform segments of the 2013 Program side by side with members of the 2013 Bluecoats. Whether you plan to audition for the Bluecoats in the future and want to get a taste of what to expect, or you just want to learn what it takes to be the best - THE BLUE WAY is for you!

Hope to see you there or at any one of the 3 great shows the corps has this year in Akron, Pittsburgh, and Massilon.

Good luck to you!

Garfield's_kid attended the BlueWay camp last year, and it was a GREAT experience for him. He's anxious to go back this year and will likely go to 'Coats' auditions in Nov. Granville is 30 minutes from our house and Canton is but 2 1/2 hours away.

But, CAUTION, Denison has a bed bug problem that is well-documented on the web - it took us months to purge the critters from the _kid's room after the camp including a new bed set and a daily ritual of steaming and cleaning (pure rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle, toxic powders and power vacuuming). If you attend, pack all of your clothes in sealed plastic bags before you check out and go directly to the laundromat for HOT washing and HOT drying.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

Idk how but I totally forgot about the blue way camp!!!! I will DEFINITELY be attending this summer! Is there an age limit on how old you can be to attend and about how much will it cost??

Good luck to you!

Garfield's_kid attended the BlueWay camp last year, and it was a GREAT experience for him. He's anxious to go back this year and will likely go to 'Coats' auditions in Nov. Granville is 30 minutes from our house and Canton is but 2 1/2 hours away.

But, CAUTION, Dennison has a bed bug problem that is well-documented on the web - it took us months to purge the critters from the _kid's room after the camp including a new bed set and a daily ritual of steaming and cleaning (pure rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle, toxic powders and power vacuuming). If you attend, pack all of your clothes in sealed plastic bags before you check out and go directly to the laundromat for HOT washing and HOT drying.

Nice! Maybe I will see him there this summer. And thanks for the warning!! I wouldn't want to come home with bed bugs!

Not to offend the previous poster, but let me say that in the MANY years that I've been to Denison (spelled with only 1 n) University, I am not aware of such an issue.

Anyone is free to write what they wish, but Denison U is a real gem of a location. I would assure you that it is a very prestigious University (which just recently completed a multi-million dollar capital improvement plan) is a terrific place to be. The campus is awesome and nearby Granville is great to experience if you're there visiting.

Please check it out for yourself. It truly is one of the best facilities out there.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

Not to offend the precvious poster, but let me say that in the MANY years that I've been to Denison (spelled with only 1 n) University, I am not aware of such an issue.

Anyone is free to write what they wish, but Denison U is a real gem of a location. I would assure you that it is a very prestigious University (which just recently completeed a multi-million dollar capital improvement plan) is a terrific place to be. The campus is awesome and nearby Granville is great to experience if you're there visiting.

Please check it out for yourself. It truly is one of the best facilities out there.

Thanks for the corrected spelling ("previous" has no 'c' :poke: ).

Having been to the campus dozens of time over 30 years I fully agree with your impression that it's a lovely campus in a quaint, historic town. But I wonder if you slept any nights in the dorm.

I, of course, have only a single anecdotal piece of evidence, but can point to the numerous posts on the interwebs about this subject as substantiation that our experience was not a one-off (Garfield's_kid isn't made of sugar). Still, he hadn't slept anywhere other than his bed in the months before or after his camp visit there and only after discovering our unwanted guests did we find we weren't the first to experience Denison's unwanted guests. A single call placed to the school yielded a confirming answer of, paraphrasing, "Yes, we've been struggling with that problem for a couple of years. On a college campus it's a particularly difficult problem to eradicate". Still, it was just one reply from a voice that sounded young enough to be student.

My post doesn't reflect on the campus layout, architecture, or Granville, and those with doubts are allowed to take their chances as they see fit.

Thanks for the corrected spelling ("previous" has no 'c' :poke: ).

Having been to the campus dozens of time over 30 years I fully agree with your impression that it's a lovely campus in a quaint, historic town. But I wonder if you slept any nights in the dorm.

First, I totally see the humor in my misspelling. I can assure you though that my misspelling had everything to do with my haste to reply on my not-so-smart, smart phone. I could have waited until I made it home to the convenient full-size keyboard of my computer, but I didn't want to sit idle without a quick reply. I'm not defending the university - have no real motivation to. But when someone purports an allegation that is "well-documented", others may interpret this as far-reaching, which it is not.

Lastly, and more importantly, I have stayed in the dorms myself - many times. I am very familiar with the dorms and the campus and have no more concern in their beds as I would anywhere else that isn't my own at home. In fact, the dorms sure beat a cold, hard gym floor and air mattress!

Now, let's get back on topic...

Edited by drumcorpsfever