Snowmageddon 2014

Salt doesn't even help below certain temps.

It's always best to just stay off the roads; most times it's not the road conditions that cause the problems...it's the knuckleheads who actually think they can handle the conditions, or think they have the type of vehicles to do so; there lies the real problems.

• Like 1

Not crazy man, as we've been dealing with record cold here. schools on delay daily because it's too cold for kids to stand and wait for the school bus

Whoa, GA isn't supposed to be that bad. Bunkering down is more for up here. Fighting a running gunfuight with landlord about my 60 degree apartment and worried my battery's getting wacked from all the hard cold starts. :satisfied:

The big thing, Dan, might be the melt-off for you guys- keep an eye out for flooding. :wacko:

This was, literally, the perfect storm. While the forecast was updated around 3am the day snow started, nobody except Dawson county cancelled schools. As a result, when the snow started around 10 and schools/business made the call to close early around noon, everyone hit the road at the same time. Add to that what snow had fallen frozen and/or was crushed and you've basically got a skating rink. For those who don't know, the Atlanta area is very hilly (not mountains, but pretty steep). Semis and cars alike got stuck going up them and were basically abandoned in place making it difficult for anyone else to get around them, let alone the few salt trucks we have down here.

My commute took me 11 hours from 5pm to 4am. Needless to say I was very glad my company closed yesterday and today. Looking forward to the 60s this weekend for sure.

The biggest impression made on me occurred twice, once at the top of a hill on 285E around Riverside Drive and again going up a hill on 400 approaching the Holcomb Bride exit. One of my son’s favorite programs is The Walking Dead (ironically filmed in the Atlanta area). About mid-way up both hills you started to see abandoned cars scattered everywhere and pointing in all directions. In addition there were a good number of stuck semis, several of those jackknifed. As I wove my way around these stalls/stuck vehicles, and looked at the side of the road with people walking along the edge, it occurred to me that I’d seen this scene several times before in the TWD. At hour 10 into the ordeal it didn’t seem crazy to think walkers would be coming around some of those vehicles!

Horrible story this morning of a 14 year old girl that was pushing her mom's car when another vehicle slid into her, severing her leg that was pinned between the two cars. Last I heard the doctors thought they would be able to reattach her leg. This has just been a nightmare all around. 60's this weekend...I'm ready.

Dan

Horrible story this morning of a 14 year old girl that was pushing her mom's car when another vehicle slid into her, severing her leg that was pinned between the two cars. Last I heard the doctors thought they would be able to reattach her leg. This has just been a nightmare all around. 60's this weekend...I'm ready.

Dan

Dan - I work at NAPA and my office overlooks the road where this happened. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest as there were a slew of stuck cars there Tuesday and little direct sunlight to melt anything. Our office was closed yesterday but my boss made it in and said they had to land a lifeflight helicopter right on the road. Awful story and hope the girl's able to make a full recovery.

Dan

That's horrible Dan. I cannot imagine what her family is going through.