DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

The only thing missing now is the Pom Pom squad.

Sorry didn't mean to make you feel left out.

0bea3fb2-1e15-4cc2-9e74-e7a5957be844_zps

Supposedly Cavies, OC, and Pio.

Well sounds like they will be getting black balled this year. Expect to see Cavies scores drop since they did not vote with the majority.

I know that's not the way its "suppose" to work but in reality its another thing.

If Cavies go down the ladder this year and Madison go up the ladder it might just prove me right :)

This vote has nothing to do with being "about the kids". In the dino age it really was about the kids. Taking members with little or no money and music experience and providing them with opportunity to become part of something that could alter their life. The "old drum corps" reached ALOT more of the "kids", so this constant crutch of an argument by people is really lame. The majority of the kids in the activity today are dedicated and talented enough musicians to play several different instruments very well. They don't need trombones to make them want to participate. The activity has become all about the few "artists" who design and judge themselves and the "privileged" music major members. They apparently are not able, or talented enough, to respect and understand the past in their quest for innovation and artistry. Marching bands, and most school music programs, are facing huge fiscal and support problems all over. Thinking there is a big untapped DCI membership group from that current source will only lead to the continued struggle to grow the number of corps in the activity. It is time for a new leadership vision that votes on proposals that help increase the number of corps, and then it really will be about the kids.

I appreciate you mentioning the current state of music programs in the school systems. A few years ago some of my fellow Blue Band alums have tossed around the idea of trying to work with the Blue Band to support public music education in Pa schools. They are concerned about the quality of the college product will drop off with less music programs.

I do agree with you. I do not remember the old days as I am to young but I heard plenty of stories of kids getting their first shot at playing a musical instrument because of drum corps. Those days are gone :(

Blue Devils baritones mimicked the slide in"Channel One Suite" way back in 1976, on valve-rotor G bugles no less!

I can fake slide technique, and on those old horns, which I own one of and played in period- they're easy to grease around because of the build quality. I practice on the P-R to make playing the alumni corps Kanstul easier.