DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

Remember back when DCI first issued these for amplification?

I am sure DCI will work past the initial issues with Trombones and French Horns too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8QSHhLeirs

Did the "entertainment" portion get passed?

This is what I was touching on in my previous post. This can seriously help out corps with smaller numbers. And it seems to me that whenever DCI introduces something that may do some serious good for the growth of the organization, people turn their collective backs and let it squander. All while complaining that Drum Corps is dying.

This is an excellent point, however I sadly believe this was the furthest thing from the powers to be decision. It was about them NOT what is best for the activity or kids :(

OSU doesn't use French Horns, they use old-style cross body Altos. :satisfied:

Competing? The problem with the high step/prance is this, in all seriousness- Drill velocity is glacial, and would put them at a disadvantage there if they used it throughout the program.

They do what they do extremely well, it doesn't necessarily translate into the competitive end of the activity nor is it really intended to. Does it enthrall 100k people at the Horseshoe, get a buttload of YouTube hits and positive publicity for OSU because their shows are done well and entertaining as heck? You bet! :satisfied:

Actually, modern TBDBITL marches modern marching mellophones.

Another one from back in the day:

Q: What do a sousaphone and a Pontiac Fiero have in common?

A: Both can be used as quaint outdoor flower planters.

If this rule has been in effect in the mid-80s '84 Blue Devils could have used a SuperBone during La Fiesta...rad. <looks over shoulder waiting for Sam S to pounce :cool: >

Edited by TRacer

As a Low Brass Man, spot on in regards to the timbre.

The thing is, the Marching French horns- waaaaal.... there are issues. The old Getzen French horns are pretty much thought of as wall decorations because they're so awful. Only two guys were ever thought of as able to actually make real music on them, Pepe Notaro, and, if you're lucky enough to hear Danny Fitzpatrick when he gets his out for fun. Two legends. The newer ones, arguably, the French horn mouthpiece is a bit risky for field use, small diameter, sharp rim, with the kinds of physical challenges in modern visual design, better off with a Mello/trumpet style mouthpiece I'd think.

The Trombonium bugles were used for like one month of one season IIRC around 1979-1981 and ditched by 27 and Madison IIRC.

King makes the marching Flugabones which aren't bad- but, my guess is they're eschewed by the DCI units because they just can't project broadly like a Bari or Euphonium can. More piercing, less sweet and deep.

Regarding an earlier post, yeah for some of the Kenton solos, you'd prefer a Trombone to get that "feel" right, though one of my old comrades who plays T-Bone professionally could always get that sound on his old King Bari.

For marching horns...it is my understanding that the Yamaha and esp the Kanstul models play very well...