Fundamental differences? Not really.

IMO the lack of WW is not the difference. I

You seem conflicted now, MikeD, because I have heard you post a number of times here on DCP unequivocably and unqualifyingly that " Drum Corps are Marching Bands ". Pretty straight forward too. Have you perhaps forgotten these previous comments here on DCP regarding this ? Why the apparent qualifyers now ? Just asking, mind you. No flame.

Edited by BRASSO

To me, the most telling thing is the answer to this question:

What is a Top 10 BOA program more akin to - a drum corps, or a college marching band?

What is a woodwind quintet more akin to: a brass quintet, or a college marching band?

Does your answer prove that there is no fundamental difference between the two kinds of quintet?

It's my pleasure to be rational. I enjoy civilized discussion and debate very much, and for the most part, I do find that on DCP.

Really enjoyed reading your post. Very interesting! That's an example of what would keep me coming back to DCP. Although I don't agree with everything you wrote (I don't believe that the achievement of drum corps peaked in the 1980's - I think it continues to evolve and improve - and I think there were some incredible musical performances in 2010).

Thank you for taking the time to provide some enjoyable reading!

I can agree with a lot of what you have said and your views on some corps, BUT what I will say is: you see your initial introduction, as far as my own opinion, was a good time ... BUT I can present you will hundreds in the activity that wouldn't agree at all: many who believe it was dead longggggggg before your first experience. NOW, was that true? Well, of course not, otherwise we wouldn't be here.

Was it dead back in 1972 when thousands predicted it was? NO, it wasn't. Is it now? NOPE, not yet, changes or not.

Is it a little different decade to decade? Of course. BUT so are a lot of things--as many think "not for the better", I believe there's just as many that say it's way better ... it's all in your perspective.

Then the argument come up as to nos. in seats. Yeah, so? Some refuse to look at, maybe, just maybe, it's not just the activity BUT who it serves and the times. Years before your first experience, people were die-hards and devoted their lives to this. Not so much now, and that has nothing to do with how the activity changed but everything to do with more choices, less local community involvement and serving a very different person, jmo.

Well, I would say that just because those who proclaimed in 1971 that drum corps had "died" were wrong--and I do believe they were wrong--that does not mean that every other expressed fear about the end, or possible end, of drum corps is wrong. Too many people use some mistaken statements of the past as a club against the legitimate fears of the present. While we must be mindful that such earlier misstatements were made, they should be guides for rather than censors of our opinions now.

And there must be some point beyond which changes to drum corps would render it no longer drum corps--otherwise everything would be a drum corps.

• Like 1

Well, I would say that just because those who proclaimed in 1971 that drum corps had "died" were wrong--and I do believe they were wrong

However, you might choose to say instead that they were right that the activity they loved had ceased to exist and had been replaced by a new activity they did not love. This is really just a different way of framing the discussion, but in that frame, I would say that the new activity was better than the old one. They would disagree with me. Just as you and others would disagree with me that drum corps since 2004 and especially since 2009 is worse than its predecessor. (I am not actually prepared to say that electronically enhanced drum corps, mistaken as it is, represents an actual break with the past--just a decline, so far.) Maybe the pre-1971 fans are right. Maybe I'm right. Maybe you're right. None of us gets to decide who is right, but each of us gets to make our case (or not: you have said that you would prefer to walk away than to argue against DCI should they change the rules beyond your liking), and if we believe strongly enough in our case, we should state our positions as clearly and persuasively as possible, in hopes that a majority of others will agree with us and work to keep (or change) drum corps to the ideal we seek. That is what I have tried to do in my long post above.