Play Nostrodomos

Just for fun - two questions. Play predictor of DCI's future. Question 1 - when will woodwinds be admitted into the activity (and or strings)? Question 2 - what does DCI look like in 5 years?

I'll go first. I think in 5 years woodwinds will be in. Strings will be allowed in within 3. DCI in 5 years will see changes in the guard where it will lean more towards modern dance and a break from traditional guard. Shows will look more like Super Bowl Halftime Shows and focus will be on visual with use of lighting/lasers and other effects.

. Shows will look more like Super Bowl Halftime Shows and focus will be on visual with use of lighting/lasers and other effects.

There might be a little more singing in the future, but nowhere near the level of singing we are currently hearing at Super Bowl halftime shows. Rock Guitars have already been utilized in DCI Competition, but I don't see this frequent musical instrument at the Super Bowl being utilized in any large scale basis anytime soon in DCI competition... as for Light utilization, I have stated on here before that light useage in shows are an unexplored area, and in my view has future promise perhaps, although there are logistical issues, and daytime issues that naturally would have to be addressed. As for woodwinds, I believe we will see this in preshows in a few years. As for its useage in field competition, that remains to be seen as its costs of repair on tour can be an issue, and it will be up to the Corps to decide what they want, and don't want. Right now, there appears little support among the majority of voting members for the use of woodwinds in DCI field competition. I have no clear sense right now however if the future Corps Directors will or will not feel the same.

Edited by BRASSO

. DCI in 5 years will see changes in the guard where it will lean more towards modern dance and a break from traditional guard. .

Your definition seems a bit different than my definition of " traditional Guard ". For me, the " traditional Guard " ship sailed a long time ago. There is no Honor Guard. Guard has been about " modern dance " for quite some time now, so its not " leaning there ". Its arrived. So we are not quite on the same page here regarding some of this it appears. ( which is ok, by the way )

Edited by BRASSO

Please do.

Yes.. he's not interested in a discussion or to entertain other viewpoints. He just wanted to essentially split his spleen. He accomplished that.. then promptly disappeared. So thats that.

... Shows will look more like Super Bowl Halftime Shows and focus will be on visual with use of lighting/lasers and other effects.

Most of the musicians during the Super Bowl Halftime, including the recent performance of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, lip-sync and air perform to pre-recorded music 'because' the emphasis is on the visual, lighting, lasers, and other effects. Welcome to the modern acceptance of show over substance!!!

Just for fun - two questions. Play predictor of DCI's future. Question 1 - when will woodwinds be admitted into the activity (and or strings)? Question 2 - what does DCI look like in 5 years?

I'll go first. I think in 5 years woodwinds will be in. Strings will be allowed in within 3. DCI in 5 years will see changes in the guard where it will lean more towards modern dance and a break from traditional guard. Shows will look more like Super Bowl Halftime Shows and focus will be on visual with use of lighting/lasers and other effects.

Nostradamus?

I've already done this very recently on DCP thanks!: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/158921-dci-blast-bd-entertainment-et-cetera/

Mods, thread merge? and I am surprised we haven't seen more lighting effects. I believe I recall a BOA Band (William Mason?) doing a winter show and projecting snowflakes onto the curtain in the back of Lucas Oil.

Most of the musicians during the Super Bowl Halftime, including the recent performance of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, lip-sync and air perform to pre-recorded music 'because' the emphasis is on the visual, lighting, lasers, and other effects. Welcome to the modern acceptance of show over substance!!!

Older, veteran teachers frequently tell me that the newer generation of students respond much better to the visual transmittal of information to them than the auditory transmittal of information to them.. much more so than previous generations of students these veteran, older teachers tell me. I defer to these current teachers on this, as its not in my realm anymore to be able to know, nor to contrast this adequately.

Edited by BRASSO

Madonna had a drum line at Super Bowl Halftime :smile: