Cause and Effect?

Watch 2013 shows. There's a wild and enthusiastic reaction to EVERY:

Company Front

Loud Chord

Rotating Block

High Toss

Aggressive Percussion Close

Rousing Musical Finish

Why can't today's designers simply incorporate MORE of the above?

I think in the old days the judges were judging what they saw as drum and bugle corps skills, but over time they have shifted somewhat to rewarding more transferable performing arts skills. Most of the items in your list are not as important in other performing arts.

Given a choice, I think it's fair to say ANY type of performer prefers an overt, positive reaction to their efforts. I'd go so far as to say, wild and enthusiastic is even better! In my experience, positive crowd reation WAS stronger, seemingly more emotional, and absolutely more wild and enthusiastic in past decades of DCI. Agree?

Not only do many fans agree ( that were present in both earlier decades as well as now to be in position to know ), but so do some of the current Corps Directors, staff, too. For example, George Hopkins, DIirector of the Cadets is on record 2 years ago stating publically the same thing as well regarding audiences responding much more favorably and enthustiastically, on the whole, to DCI shows BITD than what he and and his fellow Corps observers are witnessing today from audiences with the current shows, on the whole. So sure, except in some isolated quarters of a minority contrarian viewpoint, I think the prevaling sentiment is that something seems lacking in the shows of today compared to BITD with audiences.. The question then advances to, do we do something to change this on the judging sheets, or in show designs, or some other combination ?, or do we embrace no change at all in this regard ? I guess thats the question now, moving forward. Nobody ( or few anyway ) wants the overall crowd responses to remain in this rut forever compared to BITD audiences receptions to the shows.

Edited by BRASSO

I think in the old days the judges were judging what they saw as drum and bugle corps skills, but over time they have shifted somewhat to rewarding more transferable performing arts skills. Most of the items in your list are not as important in other performing arts.

To follow up on this, I wonder what would happen if, say, rock concerts became a judged activity. At first the rock and roll style might not change much, but if the judges were rewarding performing arts skills in general, the bands should begin to incorporate any other performing arts skills that they want to explore. So, rock bands would become less like rock bands and more like a blur of rock, Broadway, orchestral music, and anything else a band can think of. That wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing; there could be lots of diversity of styles rewarded, but the number of traditional rock bands would decrease sharply. Maybe that's what we're seeing in drum corps.

Let's keep in mind that this is also the generation who claps at the end of a movie...

hmmmm i remember as a kid in the 70s a standing O for love story and the theater was packed..not the little theaters of today...the old movie palaces...i actually remember a few like that

oh well

Edited by GUARDLING

hmmmm i remember as a kid in the 70s a standing O for love story and the theater was packed..not the little theaters of today...the old movie palaces...i actually remember a few like that

oh well

Out of all the movies from the ‘70s including The Godfather, Star Wars, Apocalypse Now, Taxi Driver, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Rocky, The Deer Hunter, Young Frankenstein, Patton, All The President’s Men, Clockwork Orange, The French Connection, Outlaw Josey Wales, Dirty Harry, Deliverance, Close Encounters, Blazing Saddles, Fiddler on the Roof, MASH, Enter the Dragon, Animal House, and hundreds of others you remember a standing ‘O’ for Love Story. Wow, I sure am glad that your perception is not my reality!!! :hehe:

Out of all the movies from the ‘70s including The Godfather, Star Wars, Apocalypse Now, Taxi Driver, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Rocky, The Deer Hunter, Young Frankenstein, Patton, All The President’s Men, Clockwork Orange, The French Connection, Outlaw Josey Wales, Dirty Harry, Deliverance, Close Encounters, Blazing Saddles, Fiddler on the Roof, MASH, Enter the Dragon, Animal House, and hundreds of others you remember a standing ‘O’ for Love Story. Wow, I sure am glad that your perception is not my reality!!! :hehe:

:whistle: ...........................:pay attention stuie..i said a few....maybe you didnt date as a kid...lmao...i find that hard to believe with that sparkling personality :wub:

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2