The Progression of Performance Art in DCI

So, you just want them to adhere to your morals? Got it. And DCI has a rules Congress….. so there's that.

No; not 'my' morals. I would just like the youth marching arts entities to self-regulate the activity via creating rules and regulations which merely inform an 'anything goes' minded designer that there are limits on what can and cannot be done within this youth activity. And create these rules and regulations 'before' those who see no harm in Gaga, Brown, Cyrus, NWA, Lil Kim et al artistic 'freedoms' begin going down the path of designing show concepts for youth with an ‘anything goes’ moral compass.

You say societies that allow this "deparvity" regress instead of progress. How would you classify scientists discovering the Higgs-Boson particle, or curing as many diseases as they have in this perverted society? Or growing a functioning liver out of stem cells? Or creating cars that can run on bio-fuels? Or 3D printing moving prosthetics for amputees? If society is regressing, what are all of these ground-breaking discoveries then?

I stated the regression is in the morals, not in the science. I like this quote from Sting; “Never saw no miracle of science that didn't go from a blessing to a curse”. Thus it is not the ‘progress’ of science, it is the ‘regression’ of moral behavior. We have way more knowledge (progress) today than we had years ago, but we have way less moral wisdom (regress) today in using that knowledge.

No they can't. Those laws apply to all peoples, which is the Constitutional protection you enjoy. No one is allowed to censor speech or expression unless it can be conclusively proven that said speech would lead to harm coming to someone. That distinction was made back in World War I, which seems to be a period after your Puritanical views came to be.

Try giving a marching clinic at a school or a music store using the foulest language possible; language which does no harm to anyone but does offend them. Then when they attempt to throw you out recite to them what you just typed and sue them for curtailing your speech. Let’s put this to the test shall we? You will lose.

No; not 'my' morals. I would just like the youth marching arts entities to self-regulate the activity via creating rules and regulations which merely inform an 'anything goes' minded designer that there are limits on what can and cannot be done within this youth activity. And create these rules and regulations 'before' those who see no harm in Gaga, Brown, Cyrus, NWA, Lil Kim et al artistic 'freedoms' begin going down the path of designing show concepts for youth with an ‘anything goes’ moral compass.

I stated the regression is in the morals, not in the science. I like this quote from Sting; “Never saw no miracle of science that didn't go from a blessing to a curse”. Thus it is not the ‘progress’ of science, it is the ‘regression’ of moral behavior. We have way more knowledge (progress) today than we had years ago, but we have way less moral wisdom (regress) today in using that knowledge.

It seems like you want everyone on your morals, since that's what you're pushing, and calling everything past that "depraved perversion." You have no evidence whatsoever that DCI designers are going to put any of the aspects of Lady Gaga or Miley Cyrus on the field. None at all. But you're railing against them as if they're Satanic polygamists who want kids fornicating and puking on each other on the field.

Well, clearly if we are having these increases in knowledge, then our "regression" of morals isn't causing humanity to explode and go to hell in a hand-basket. And it's not like the past was a shiny example of moral turpitude. Racial insensitivity, sexual repression, domestic abuse, rape had more grey area, murder was allowed if it was for violating someone's honor, women were whores if they showed ankle or wrist. Take the rose-colored glasses off, the world isn't going down the toilet all of a sudden.

• Like 3

Try giving a marching clinic at a school or a music store using the foulest language possible; language which does no harm to anyone but does offend them. Then when they attempt to throw you out recite to them what you just typed and sue them for curtailing your speech. Let’s put this to the test shall we? You will lose.

You ever observe a high school football practice? Clearly most schools don't care. Those are also minors, most drum corps members are above the age of 18. And it's common sense to not openly curse in front of children. Just because you could do something doesn't mean it's something you should do consistently.

• Like 2

Looks like what we have here is a thread with two people who are one of *those kind* who need to have the last word. So this thread could go on forever.

You ever observe a high school football practice? Clearly most schools don't care. Those are also minors, most drum corps members are above the age of 18. And it's common sense to not openly curse in front of children. Just because you could do something doesn't mean it's something you should do consistently.

You avoided via diversion; typical response when a person does not want to respond directly. Many people let language slide; that is true. But, a school administrator, a music store owner, or even a DCI corps director or WGI unit director certainly can curtail your language while engaging in an activity on their behalf with no legal recourse from you claiming 'violation of the freedom of speech'.

Looks like what we have here is a thread with two people who are one of *those kind* who need to have the last word. So this thread could go on forever.

If you notice for quite a while now I have only responded not initiated. So, once people stop posting, I as the OP will stop responding.

So, who would you want in charge of this? Clergy? Little old ladies? Yourself? You've spent all of this time given hypothetical arguments, but never any hard facts or examples. What you're proposing is censorship and someone having to decide what is acceptable to be put on the field. Rules governing what can and can't be done. That was a major grievance from the Midwest Combine as a reason to break away from the VFW originally. Oh how things have come full circle.

I would just like the members of the governing bodies of DCI, WGI, and BOA, since they are youth activities, to create some sort of regulations on designs as a preventative measure because of the cultural movement going down the path of accepting Gaga vomit as performance art. Nothing more.

If you notice for quite a while now I have only responded not initiated. So, once people stop posting, I as the OP will stop responding.

Promise?

• Like 1

That made absolutely no sense. But it did prove 1/2 of my point. We'll wait for poster #2 to check in.

• Like 1