Carolina Crown 2014

Drum Corps, Battlestar Gallactica... Jeesh, it's obvious...

You guys really do live in your parents' basement, don't you?

Mike, you're scaring me now....

:tounge2:

OK, my "nerd" chops come out...

The score for Battlestar Galactica (BSG for those uber fans/too lazy to type mutli-syllable words) was pretty off-the-hook awesome. For much of the score composer Bear McCreary strived to utilize non-traditional orchestration, and he did a pretty marvelous job; I think it took a full couple of seasons before he scored something that used a chamber orchestra (IIRC the Opera House score cue was the first that used traditional soundtrack instrumentation). He used a lot of Daiko-style drums, twisted the HEL% out of a super popular melody (Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" and utilized some great recurring motifs (such as the one mentioned previously that is minimalist and reminiscent of John Cage). It really is fabulous music.

• Like 2

The score for Battlestar Galactica (BSG for those uber fans/too lazy to type mutli-syllable words) was pretty off-the-hook awesome. For much of the score composer Bear McCreary strived to utilize non-traditional orchestration, and he did a pretty marvelous job; I think it took a full couple of seasons before he scored something that used a chamber orchestra (IIRC the Opera House score cue was the first that used traditional soundtrack instrumentation). He used a lot of Daiko-style drums, twisted the HEL% out of a super popular melody (Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" and utilized some great recurring motifs (such as the one mentioned previously that is minimalist and reminiscent of John Cage). It really is fabulous music.

There was some actual Philip Glass music used in one episode too (when Starbuck visits her old apartment on her home planet), which fit right in with all the original music. Dang, now I am getting the itch to watch BSG all over again, just for the music.

KaraThrace.jpg

• Like 1

There was some actual Philip Glass music used in one episode too (when Starbuck visits her old apartment on her home planet), which fit right in with all the original music. Dang, now I am getting the itch to watch BSG all over again, just for the music.

KaraThrace.jpg

Yeah with summer break coming up I will likely revisit the series (I have it on Blu-ray): the marriage of music + visual was pretty brilliant.

Is. That. A. SOUSAPHONE????!!!!!!

Y'all missing the most obvious hint in the bumblebee vid. Forget the sousaphone. Crown is using FRISBEES in their show. Like little floating UFOs, makes perfect sense. Imagine what the guard can do with a bunch of those.

Agreed. Although as an Old, I can't tell you how cool it was that he busted out Colonial Anthem for the "documentary" episode, I think in season 2. Made me happy, and I would love to see it on the field in some form...

/threadjack

• Like 1

It would be a surprise for 1 show. Then, of course, everyone would know about it anyways.

Mike

For sure.

On on the flip side of the "keeping secrets" coin:

Last week plot details were leaked about the currently-filming JURASSIC WORLD film. The internet community freaked out and the news was ALL over all of the movie/pop-culture websites. Instead of letting that stuff sit, the director conducted an interview (via email exchange) with a website and confirmed most of the rumors and expanded a little bit on what was leaked. Very interesting stuff was said by the director, and the news/general feelings from bloggers & journalists went from "info leaked OMG!" to actual discourse about the story details/tone of the film. By most accounts the director circumvented a lot of critique of rumors, and instead centered the focus on legit details and buzz that the director himself released.

Again, Hollywood studios have billions of dollars, a HUGE marketing department, etc while drum corps do not. But corps could maybe be a little more savvy w/information release in order to appease fans AND release information they want.

• Like 1

Y'all missing the most obvious hint in the bumblebee vid. Forget the sousaphone. Crown is using FRISBEES in their show. Like little floating UFOs, makes perfect sense. Imagine what the guard can do with a bunch of those.

I saw that and thought:

1) awesome if they do indeed use frisbees in their show

or

2) awesome that either young staffers/techs or whomever are just casually goofing standing behind one of the most BAMF horn lines in the activity. Like being around the amazing hornline is not a big deal at all for them because that's just their daily life right now.

Either way, I spent a bit of time watching that video and thinking about those frisbee guys.

This is what we (I) do before shows start :tounge2:

Agreed. Although as an Old, I can't tell you how cool it was that he busted out Colonial Anthem for the "documentary" episode, I think in season 2. Made me happy, and I would love to see it on the field in some form...

/threadjack

Yeah that was awesome how they used that old theme song as a pseudo national anthem number. They used it first in the miniseries, early on, when they were 'retiring' the Galactica and doing the fly-by ceremony with Apollo in Adama's old Viper