What's In A Name?

39 members have voted

1. 1. When is it appropriate for DCI to remove "Drum Corps" from its name and replace it with something else?

• It should have been changed already with the addition of Bb instrumentation.
    • It should have been changed already with the allowance of amplification and electronics.
    • It should be changed now with the allowance of additional brass instrumentation.
    • It should be changed in the future with the allowance of woodwind instruments.
    • It should never be changed.
    • Other (Specify in thread)

I'm not sure. You continue to post as "Stu" when everyone knows "troll" is more accurate! :tounge2: By your logic, you should immediately change your username!

Back to ACTUAL discussion!

I would support a name-change after woodwinds...

And because I disagree when a name change should have occurred; and because I challenge posters, including you, on various opinions; because I 'constantly risk absurdity' livening up discussions; you call me a troll and want the mods to censor me; ok, I got that.

Should have been changed after WW2. Clearly they stopped being bugles with the addition of valves. Adding in other voices like alto and baritone was another nail in the coffin. True drum corps has one voice: soprano. Worse yet was when these so-called drum corps started performing "field shows" on football fields just like stupid disgusting inferior marching bands. When I saw the Troopers do that uber-bando sunburst that was it. Drum corps was dead for me . . . I might as well have been watching a college band at halftime.

• Like 1

Why on earth should DCI change its name? Because five guys on DCP cannot agree on the definition of "drum corps"?

I have no idea what their gender is.

Five Guys do make inexpensive ' burgers with free peanuts on the side however, so they're ok in my book.

This is kind of like asking "are palm trees and pine trees more similar, or more different?"

You're barking up the wrong tree

It has been well illustrated here in these august forums that this thing we call a "name" is wholly and completely arbitrary. Anything can be called anything, and thank goodness for it. So, to save us all inevitable future anguish, I hereby propose that all woodwind instruments now be called "auxiliary brass."

• Like 1

It has been well illustrated here in these august forums that this thing we call a "name" is wholly and completely arbitrary. Anything can be called anything, and thank goodness for it. So, to save us all inevitable future anguish, I hereby propose that all woodwind instruments now be called "auxiliary brass."

Here, Here!!!! If something is actually defined by 'what we call ourselves', I hereby propose that DCP is now considered as an organization for people who are way more intelligent than those who join MENSA!!!

Here, Here!!!! If something is actually defined by 'what we call ourselves', I hereby propose that DCP is now considered as an organization for people who are way more intelligent than those who join MENSA!!!

Yeah, we can call ourselves DENSA.

• Like 2