Music and Traffic and Domes, OH MY!

Wonderful! It sounds like the turf field we have here at University of Wisconsin-Stout in Menomonie. It's identical to the field at Camp Randall. That's a great surface.

It would be great to bring a show back to Memorial Stadium.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be great to bring a show back to Memorial Stadium.

Absolutely! b**bs

Sure beats watching IU football there, year after year... <_<

Yes...I live about a block from Memorial Stadium (well...for the next week...then its off to Chicago and the real world!) and they are working on the turf field as we speak.

They have also added some nice box seats, if the judges and the more affluent drum corps want to be pampered.

I too would like to see the Midwestern Championship be moved to Memorial Stadium (@IU...not UIUC) but from a performer's point of view...I will admit that it was NICE to be able to perform in an airconditioned venue.

From my experiences of playing in the dome (3 times) I didnt have a problem with the echo, as much as I had a problem with that wierd "vacuum" effect. I.E....I couldnt hear anyone but myself and I felt like I was marching the show alone!

I dont see the championships being moved out of Indiana...much less Indianapolis.

I think you're right ... the contest will stay in Indiana. Bloomington isn't that far from Indy, the stadium is easy to get to, lots of nice restaurants and hotels close by ... I know I'm ranting, but, to me, Drum Corps in a dome ain't Drum Corps ... its echo city!

Ha! That's eerie however ... Bill Cook came to mind when I read the news article stating that a donor sent the money for the turf. Naah.

Very interesting and fun-to-read review, Tad!

You in TBDBITL? I have a daughter going to OSU that is a pretty decent tpt player herself (reference to her in the Cavaliers portion of my review of the Indy show). No time to consider band in college because of a grueling academic schedule for her major, but she catches every OSUMB performance and "skull session" that she can in the fall! So, if you know what a Sam Browne belt is and can admire how you look in a scarlet beret, then she's a fan of yours and your "troop".

Thanks for giving us an interesting perspective!