Narration -- Do designers think audiences are now more accepting?

well they tried without it a few times and didn't quite get there...

I believe they think the narration helped them win (aka, helped them do something they had never done before without it)

Would Crown have won without it? That's something we will never know...

I would rather hear more Crown hornline and less Crown vocals... but I acknowledge that other people might well feel differently. Maybe they buy DCI tickets to hear Crown's vocals?

I think in last years case it just added ( like in the original CD ) to the program . Maybe it's because I have used Einstein on The Beach and very familiar with it. An addition of a prop, vocal, trick, or whatever can add or take away from a program But I dont think any designer believes they MUST use vocals or they wont succeed. New designers may believe this because often they want to do what the seasoned designer is doing ( mostly never works ) and often outsiders ( meaning those not DIRECTLY involved ) may believe this may be the case and understandably because they may see it happen in the top corps.

An unanswered question runs through this thread: do we have any proof that narration has demonstrably increased the score of a specific show? Does anyone here know for absolute certain?

If the answer is "yes," then we will never see the end of narration. If the answer is no, then narration will gradually fade away as show designers move on to other toys (hello, sousaphones!).

An unanswered question runs through this thread: do we have any proof that narration has demonstrably increased the score of a specific show? Does anyone here know for absolute certain?

If the answer is "yes," then we will never see the end of narration. If the answer is no, then narration will gradually fade away as show designers move on to other toys (hello, sousaphones!).

thats like asking do cow bells or props increase a score . There will never be an answer IMO because it's not about the narration, prop or cow bell or whatever BUT about how it is used and if it added or took away from a program

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

thats like asking do cow bells or props increase a score . There will never be an answer IMO because it's not about the narration, prop or cow bell or whatever BUT about how it is used and if it added or took away from a program

Are you saying that cow bells DON'T increase a score??

exactly.

voice is used a heck of lot more over in the guard world. sometimes it distracts. sometimes it props up. sometimes i ask "why?"

and sometimes it is powerfully effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWQJo3OOQ6M

the whole idea that it's a valueless addition which requires no talent is far out of step with reality -- it's just plain fantasyland! inflection, pacing, clarity and tone can combine to make the voice/narration a true art form.

if it's an integral part of the entire conceptual design, it can really yank you around emotionally and intellectually. because words --presented properly -- can set you off in an entirely different directiion than what otherwise would be case.

do i enjoy shows where the music is the only voice? absolutely. but it doesn't mean there aren't other choices, other possibilities, other approaches i might enjoy as well.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

I find these strained attempts to build narration up into something it isn't, for example, a true art form, hilarious. Narration is widely panned, and that sticks in your craw because your fave corps used narration conspicuously. There is no special talent in talking into a microphone as it is done in drum corps.

I find these strained attempts to build narration up into something it isn't, for example, a true art form, hilarious. Narration is widely panned, and that sticks in your craw because your fave corps used narration conspicuously. There is no special talent in talking into a microphone as it is done in drum corps.

Actually they just took Philip Glass's stuff and put it on the field. So your problem with narration in EOTB -- take it up with him.

Certainly doesn't stick my craw at all -- went down smooth and delcious (even though my initial reaction was admittedly far from that).

As for spoken voice being an art form, I don't think there's any doubt that it *can* be. Certainly not suggesting that it always is (or even frequently) that -- but it certainly can be.

• Like 3

exactly.

voice is used a heck of lot more over in the guard world. sometimes it distracts. sometimes it props up. sometimes i ask "why?"

and sometimes it is powerfully effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWQJo3OOQ6M

the whole idea that it's a valueless addition which requires no talent is far out of step with reality -- it's just plain fantasyland! inflection, pacing, clarity and tone can combine to make the voice/narration a true art form.

if it's an integral part of the entire conceptual design, it can really yank you around emotionally and intellectually. because words --presented properly -- can set you off in an entirely different directiion than what otherwise would be case.

do i enjoy shows where the music is the only voice? absolutely. but it doesn't mean there aren't other choices, other possibilities, other approaches i might enjoy as well.

wow powerful example: I may have to write a show around it..lol