Narration -- Do designers think audiences are now more accepting?

In the wake of Crown's show last season...

Do you expect to see more narration this season?

Do you think designers are more willing to try it again?

Has anything really changed since amplified voice was legalized?

Who will use it this season?

Who will do it well?

Who will fail?

Who will do it well?

Who will fail?

I have a bad feeling about where this thread will eventually end up, but here goes:

Not really. Probably about the same as any other year.

Yes

Shows have evolved a bit, yes. But voice was legalized 10 years ago so it may just be a coincidence.

I know that Crown will more than likely feature some form of narration this year.

I can't think too many cases where I didn't think the narration added something to the show.

If anyone 'fails' it won't be solely because of the use of narration.

• Like 1

I don't think designers care what audiences think. They are designing for the judges.

• Like 5

Who will do it well?

Who will fail?

i think more will try....it's really been hit or miss, mostly miss IMO as it really hasn't helped shows.

I don't think designers care what audiences think. They are designing for the judges.

What is "why the drum corps activity has been in a steady decline for 30 years, Alex"...

I can't think too many cases where I didn't think the narration added something to the show.

Let us introduce you to "Emo Boy" from Cadets' 2007 production....

In terms of Crown's 2013 show, the Glass segments were what they were (though non-DCI people I know who've seen it said, uniformly, "it seems amateurish" - what's ironic when done by professionals in a theatre/opera setting seemed out of place done by college kids on a football field; take that for what it's worth).

Let us introduce you to "Emo Boy" from Cadets' 2007 production....

In terms of Crown's 2013 show, the Glass segments were what they were (though non-DCI people I know who've seen it said, uniformly, "it seems amateurish" - what's ironic when done by professionals in a theatre/opera setting seemed out of place done by college kids on a football field; take that for what it's worth).

While the delivery in some cases could use some work, I think the choice of words are usually effective. I actually didn't mind the emo sounding kid. What bothered me was the girl with the "we rely on the bassline" line. She sounds like she's struggling to catch her breath in just about every recording I've heard other than finals.

I think the narration the Cadets used in 2008 could have worked had it been prerecorded by proffesionals. I suppose that would have been frowned upon though.

• Like 1

A few weeks ago I was in a local supermarket and ran into an old schooler who makes most old schoolers look like modern liberals. I've known the guy for years and it doesn't take much to get him all stirred up about drum corps, politics, young people today, the way most religions (in his opinion) are headed, etc. He was wearing Boston Crusaders t-shirt and a Madison Scouts baseball cap. His grandson is now playing the trombone, another person in the conversation suggested he could now be a Madison Scout and this led to a discussion about the new instrumentation. I expected a rant that would make the supermarket collapse, but he didn't get all that worked up and said all the changes that anger us so eventually work. I think he has a point, and it made me think. I do not particularly care for narration, but I loved Crown's show last year. But I also liked them in 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008...... BAC is my favorite corps performing today and two of my favorite shows: 2000 "Red" and 2002 "You Are My Star" include vocals, which I usually do not care for in drum corps, but I loved these shows. If Madison does use trombones I'll probably forgive, if Blue Knights do it will be the ruin of civilization. Madison is one of my "can do no wrong" corps. I tend to run hot and cold with Blue Knights.

Conclusion: Many of us, if not most or all of us are a bit fickle. We may not like some of the newer practices, unless a corps we like uses them, and then it's o.k. So if our favorite corps is using narration, we'll love it. If one of our least favorite corps uses it, it's an abomination.

• Like 1

While the delivery in some cases could use some work, I think the choice of words are usually effective. I actually didn't mind the emo sounding kid. What bothered me was the girl with the "we rely on the bassline" line. She sounds like she's struggling to catch her breath in just about every recording I've heard other than finals.

I think the narration the Cadets used in 2008 could have worked had it been prerecorded by proffesionals. I suppose that would have been frowned upon though.

I absolutely agree about 2008. A prerecording would have worked nicely. Heck, corps sample. Why can't they do the same with narration? The content in 2008 was meant to be performed by an older person. Also, it might have been better had they focused the story arc on a smaller period of time. If I remember correctly, the show was patterned after NPR's This American Life. In it, Ira Glass takes snapshots of life. The message about the pursuit of happiness would have still worked.