Blue Devils 2014 Thread

Easily, my favorite show this season. Obviously, I'm a BD fan so I'm a little biased. But I honestly think this is the corps to beat this summer. THE BRASS IS AMAZING! Can't wait for the season to start. And I can't wait to see BD get their 16th World Championship! :)

Something I've noticed about BD, atleast the past few years: they seem to be very trumpet heavy. Their arrangements seem to be written to heavily emphasize trumpets. Even in the recording from family day, the show sounded a bit.. bright because of the trumpet line. I'm not sure if it is the arrangements or the tone that BD prefers to have but I wish BD went for a more balanced or bottom-heavy sound.

Soprano is the BD trademark. The opener they have 16 mello's pick up trumpets.

Cadets are known for their mid section. Phantom Regiment is known for their Baritones. (this much I do know) Help me out horn guys.

• Like 1

Soprano is the BD trademark. The opener they have 16 mello's pick up trumpets.

Cadets are known for their mid section. Phantom Regiment is known for their Baritones. (this much I do know) Help me out horn guys.

Ah okay so it's on purpose. I guess the bright sounding hornline will sound better as the season progresses. And yeah I saw the mello-trumpet switch.

Personally I prefer a more balanced sound. BD's opening hit in their 2010 show comes to mind. When I first listened to that, I had the video open but was doing something else on my computer. When I heard that hit, it instantly caught my attention because it sounded so unlike what I'm used to hearing from BD.

Something I've noticed about BD, atleast the past few years: they seem to be very trumpet heavy. Their arrangements seem to be written to heavily emphasize trumpets. Even in the recording from family day, the show sounded a bit.. bright because of the trumpet line. I'm not sure if it is the arrangements or the tone that BD prefers to have but I wish BD went for a more balanced or bottom-heavy sound.

Considering that they have 40 trumpets at the beginning of the show, yea, you're right.

Maybe that's the "symphonic jazz" style that they're playing within?

Well after they switch it's a really rich sound. Not sure what your audio source is.

See them live. I think that since John Meehan has taken over as caption head the sound is much more heavy in low brass as before. I guess Wayne still arranges but John runs the line?

If you get a chance check out the audio recording and listen on some good speakers or headphones though a quality amp.

I had it on today with a Pioneer SX-850 and two pairs of great speakers. (AR 2ax and JBL L-96).

I like the sound of my Sherwood receiver and my AR4x more though. Something about those sweet bookshelf's that just sings.

Well after they switch it's a really rich sound. Not sure what your audio source is.

See them live. I think that since John Meehan has taken over as caption head the sound is much more heavy in low brass as before. I guess Wayne still arranges but John runs the line?

If you get a chance check out the audio recording and listen on some good speakers or headphones though a quality amp.

I had it on today with a Pioneer SX-850 and two pairs of great speakers. (AR 2ax and JBL L-96).

I like the sound of my Sherwood receiver and my AR4x more though. Something about those sweet bookshelf's that just sings.

It wasn't as bright after the switch back to mellos but through atleast the first half of the show, it still sounded too trumpet heavy for my tastes. Listening through my favorite pair of buds. Klipsch s4's. Not audiophile level, but I really like the way corps sound with them compared to other buds I've tried.

I'll be honest here, this might just be the first time I'd be completely fine with BD taking the gold. I really, really, really enjoy this show. It's actually kind of refreshing from them.

Congrats BD, you've turned someone who used to "not like" you into a fan.

Edited by Double.D