Beginners

Maybe I'm a snob in my older age - but for paid entertainment I really wouldn't have an interest in going to shows of corps that are geared towards "beginners". I'd imagine the audiences would be minimal and mostly parents/friends at best.

Yea, you're a snob. But you're not alone. The best way to get kids to entertain you with excellence is to cheer them on when they're not winning.

I know of more than one drum corps that has a psychologist on staff to identify this trait in new kids and to help them overcome the feelings of being overwhelmed with self doubt.

It is real.

Is it a problem? Well, not if the activity is disinterested in welcoming the desire and growing the ability, IMO.

Just to be clear, do you mean that some corps have paid Ph.D. psychologists on staff, or are these mental health professionals who are simply volunteering their time? A staff psychologist would be an expensive addition.

Just to be clear, do you mean that some corps have paid Ph.D. psychologists on staff, or are these mental health professionals who are simply volunteering their time? A staff psychologist would be an expensive addition.

Having a Psychologist on staff in the summer I suppose good be a good idea.. but there are times when its just a waste of time, money, reources that can be better spent.

For example, who here really thinks these 2 would benefit from a session ? :

http://www.freakingnews.com/funny-pictures/psychiatrist-pictures.asp

Psychologists , who have marched or taught in the activity have gone in just like other staff periodically a week or weekend here or there to help out not just in their field but with actual corps and show issues or cleaning.

PHDs do volunteer just like others do :smile:............maybe more, they don't need the money...lol

Edited by GUARDLING

Yea, you're a snob. But you're not alone. The best way to get kids to entertain you with excellence is to cheer them on when they're not winning.

very true, BUT not only is he not alone , IMO represents many, otherwise numbers at shows would be different in OC. At least he/she was honest about it. Shows aren't 2 bucks anymore so in all entertainment a person has to decide how their money is spent whether we agree or not.

Psychologists , have gone to help out with show issues

Makes sense. Some show designs on occasion could use a little input from these trained professionals, imo

• Like 1

did you attempt humor ?...lol....but your'e right or at least why some might think so..lol

.I wuz caught red handed it looks like.

A psycho-analyst could be useful to explain some recent shows to all of us. For instance, how might we interpret those towers, and that door?