Oh Woe is Me - Blue Knights

Neither is complaining on a message board...

As for your reference to their trajectory - the same could be said for:

Spirit of Atlanta

Blue Stars (barring the one year they popped up to number 8)

Troopers

Crossmen

Colts

Or for that matter:

Vanguard

Bluecoats

Phantom Regiment

Most corps live in between a few placements, and it takes (as I said) a certain amount of the stars aligning to move up and stay up.

The difference of course being that I have absolutely no emotional investment in the Colts, Crossmen, Troopers, or Blue Stars.

As for Vanguard, Bluuuuuuecoats, and Phantom - they've already tasted top tier. The Blue Knights have not.

And to be clear, I never said that "complaining on a message board" would change anything. This was a commentary on my personal feelings regarding the Blue Knights.

• Like 1

The difference of course being that I have absolutely no emotional investment in the Colts, Crossmen, Troopers, or Blue Stars.

As for Vanguard, Bluuuuuuecoats, and Phantom - they've already tasted top tier. The Blue Knights have not.

And to be clear, I never said that "complaining on a message board" would change anything. This was a commentary on my personal feelings regarding the Blue Knights.

I don't care what your investment is in the other corps. That wasn't the point. The point is that all of those corps are trying to achieve the exact same thing. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you do if the other team does it better. But you don't want to hear that. You want to suggest that your corps isn't doing what they think will get them to the next level. It doesn't seem to register that they're competing with several other corps with the same objectives, not to mention some very well established corps that have an advantage in terms of recruiting and sustained success. This is now the 10th page of you refusing to listen to several sensible posters who have pointed all of this out. Again, if you think you have the answer, call the corps. Bashing them on a public forum is unprofessional, and inappropriate and if I were an alumni of your corps I'd be embarrassed.

You can paint all of the sad pictures you want, but when the results are the same year after year, maybe it's time to start having some difficult conversations.

True. But there is a place for everything. And not all places are the same. For example, you can have a family frank discussion on things at home among yourselves. Or... you can have your family frank discussion of these " difficult conversations" in a restaurant.

DCP is that restaurant. We are your surounding patrons of the restaurant that are sitting around you and Weslyrp. We hear your frank discussion. But we are not privy to the goings on in your family, nor can we tell you what to do, nor is it our place to intervene as to what you need to do. Other than to whisper over to you to politely tell you that your familiy frank discussion probably needs to be toned down a bit and done in private, as your heated words are even beginning to scare away the waiters from coming around to ask us at our tables if we want more water in our glasses, or a refill of the drinks.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Ha - not sure I am that memorable. I was fairly quiet until the tail end of the season when I started getting comfortable with everyone. Was painfully shy back then.

I remember your name somehow - did you work with the Euphoniums?

So, you're not going to Drums this year?

No wasn't on staff, just was around visiting quite a bit back then. Can't go to Drums- two babies under the age of 2:)

Fair enough. What about the rest of that list?

I would call Phantom pretty inconsistent, since 08 at least. 1,9,6,5,3,6. Id make an argument for Bones and Troop. Both of them have been from 12 to 17 and between in the past 5 years. Troopers are one of the most inconsistent corps in DCI to me. Any given year they can be anywhere from 13 to 20 with the occasional finals appearance (09).

I would call Phantom pretty inconsistent, since 08 at least. 1,9,6,5,3,6. Id make an argument for Bones and Troop. Both of them have been from 12 to 17 and between in the past 5 years. Troopers are one of the most inconsistent corps in DCI to me. Any given year they can be anywhere from 13 to 20 with the occasional finals appearance (09).

Hi MelloMatt (btw I like mellos, marching french horns and fluegels:). Good statement. A proposal to DCI. Make 14 corps eligible for finals (an extra 1/2 hour) instead of 12 and Fan Network can capture delightful moments in time.

To the OP. I'm also painfully shy BUT I generally communicate one-on-one with visual context or provide a written analysis with recommendations in an executive summary. With respect to drum corps in an open forum, I rarely opine. My recommendation is to put positive ideas along with proven hypothesis onto paper and submit to the board OR donate monies to the corps of your choice.

For Phantom, I'd say that's a pretty consistent top 6 placement. 12 - 17 is only a 5 placement spread. Sure, there's movement, and corps have their outlying years but the fact remains that most corps live in a general range of placements. Blue Knights aren't alone in this, and they certainly aren't the only one who would like to move up. We're not talking about some kind of anomaly. It took a catastrophic year from the Cavaliers for Boston to get an opportunity to break the top 7 in 2012. Prior to that, they had lived between 8th and 10th since 2003, almost a decade. Bluecoats have lived in between 4th and 7th since 2002, with one bronze medal as the outlier. Its difficult to move up a to the next level of competition. If it weren't it wouldn't be worth doing.

...but the Blue Knights have tasted top tier, just one year though. Still they were top tier. Obviously my reasoning was good enough for you, so maybe you just want to vent?

Let me get this straight, you marched in 2000 when the Blue Knights placed 6th and you don't remember? Sixth place and the highest score they've ever received; 2000 was a great year.

Edited by Tricia-A BD/BK Mom

Let me get this straight, you marched in 2000 when the Blue Knights placed 6th and you don't remember? Sixth place and the highest score they've ever received; 2000 was a great year.

I know right? 2000 was a VERY entertaining year too. To be fair, 1999 was the highest score they ever achieved at 92.500, but it was at that lowly 7th place. 6th place and a 92.000 was much better.

(Honestly, those two shows were just incredible so I don't understand the complaining)

Edited by jjeffeory