Boston will have a flugel horn in their show

Looks like there is a trend this year with flugel horns. Perhaps another solo/duet? You have to check out the videos to see it,

http://www.youtube.com/4LUDLpq35H8

Edited by jjeffeory

Looks like there is a trend this year with flugel horns. Perhaps another solo/duet? You have to check out the videos to see it,

[media]http://www.youtube.com/embed/4LUDLpq35H8[\media]

Cool...I actually like the flugel...reminds me of when I marched BAC...they actually had a flugel line in 90'...not sure about other years...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

Cool...I actually like the flugel...reminds me of when I marched BAC...they actually had a flugel line in 90'...not sure about other years...

Yea, I actually like it when corps have an entire line of these "non-traditional" instruments. Yes, I just recently saw that '90 show and it was fabulous!

I'm looking forward to hearing the show for this year.

Edited by jjeffeory

27th marched one year with the unconventional trombonium in their brass line. It was fine.. I had no problems with it.

The fluegel horn is something I can live with too. I hope however that BAC doesn't narrate this season's show to the point that its distracting and drowns out the music playing. Thats my hope anyway ( and for all Corps for that matter )

Edited by BRASSO

BD always had flugel sections...at least in the early-mid 80s when I marched.

Dan

They were experimenting with their middle voice sections at that time too, right? Didn't they have marching alto horn bugles too? ...and marching french horns?

They were experimenting with their middle voice sections at that time too, right? Didn't they have marching alto horn bugles too? ...and marching french horns?

French horns were not an experiment. Everyone had marching French horns in the 70's and early 80's. I know, as I was one of them. French horns disappeared in the mid or late 80s, though I am not sure why. Too difficult to play in the new-fangled high speed drill, I suppose.

French horns were not an experiment. Everyone had marching French horns in the 70's and early 80's. I know, as I was one of them. French horns disappeared in the mid or late 80s, though I am not sure why. Too difficult to play in the new-fangled high speed drill, I suppose.

I also was a French horn player, in junior corps and then in DCA's Sunrisers.

When those instruments were in the right hands, it was a great sound. A sound that I miss.

• Like 2

You misunderstand.

BD had some strange middle voice instruments at that time. Some hybrid looking horns that looked like a cross between flugel horns and mellophones. Maybe those were the alto horn bugles?

I know the frenchies weren't experimental. They didn't disappear in the mid or late 80s. Cavies, SCV, Phantom, and other corps had them into the 90s for sure.

The began to fade because the Cadets, and then Star made all mellophone lines popular in the time frame you're talking about, which I've mentioned on here recently too.

Yea, I actually like it when corps have an entire line of these "non-traditional" instruments.

Flugel lines, alto lines... I agree, that was a cool thing!!!!