How Phantom Could Have Won in '89

Phantom's guard placed 2nd at finals in 2012. It was quite a good guard.

I will admit that my perspective may be tainted because I remember back in 2010 it was difficult for the guard to just get a single flag spin section in unison. I also remember when 16 rifles would toss a triple and it was hard to have 16 catch them let alone in unison.

Agreed they were good so WHY was it never cleaned all year? Same people every time dipping that catch vs the others. I know it seems petty but I'm not even a guard guy and that was like hey it's showcase time let's get it right. Perhaps I'm too picky.

Where did I say anything about sounding awful? I am saying if you don't do it well WHY are you getting credit for it or even doing it at all? Is this where hey, since you showed up to the party, you get 20 free points? It reminds me of some cake decorators that have done a perfect job and ruin it by adding more on for no good reason than to do it. Simply put it detracts to what is being done exceedingly well.

I guess it detracts from the performance to people who do have dance knowledge like you do, but I'm pretty sure neither the GE judges nor the majority of the audience have that same experience and therefore can just admire the difficulty of what they're doing. I'm sorry it detracts to those with an experienced eye like you but I really feel like you're arguing against visuals for the sake of arguing against visuals. They don't do any harm at all. Atleast to the majority. Also you can't exactly blame the corps for this. They're just finding ways to incorporate things in the show that aid to the increasingly abstract themes being put on the field. I don't understand the people who complain about these visuals and never really will I guess.

I guess it detracts from the performance to people who do have dance knowledge like you do, but I'm pretty sure neither the GE judges nor the majority of the audience have that same experience and therefore can just admire the difficulty of what they're doing. I'm sorry it detracts to those with an experienced eye like you but I really feel like you're arguing against visuals for the sake of arguing against visuals. They don't do any harm at all. Atleast to the majority. Also you can't exactly blame the corps for this. They're just finding ways to incorporate things in the show that aid to the increasingly abstract themes being put on the field. I don't understand the people who complain about these visuals and never really will I guess.

That's the difference between us in a nutshell then. I crave that which is excellent and good vs mediocrity.

That's the difference between us in a nutshell then. I crave that which is excellent and good vs mediocrity.

I don't think you're getting it through your head that you are one of very few people who will notice that kind of thing... I'm not talking on a microscale of just you and me, I'm talking about drum corps in general and the views of the general public.

If an audience had to have taken a dance class to realize the visuals are bad, are the visuals really actually bad?

This comment made me thing the thread with the two guys criticizing Madison '88's show and their "Bad Posture" with their leaning back while playing. I was wondering if those guys knew that the Scouts' show technique was taught to them that year by Todd Ryan. You know the DCI HOF guy who worked with Star and the guy who makes BD's posture look so good now, and whose style is probably the most popular style in the world today. Ever think that leaning was deliberately done for the moment and just a visual style? lol

http://www.dci.org/about/fame/view_member.cfm?member_id=9576d5a9-a9ca-412b-abd0-f9038d8f8638%C2'>