General Effect 1 & 2?

I really think they need to stick to more objective things while judging, such as cleanliness and marching on the right foot in tandem, posture, etc.

50% of the score should be judged on non-music things, in fact it would be better if those judges could not hear the music while judging.

GE is over rated and only gives judges an excuse to quasi-slot corps.

If they REALLY wanted to gauge "general effect", then they need to go to the fans to find out whose shows were more effective. Seriously, the fans know more about what's entertaining and what fits than the judges. But no, they don't care about that, they want an excuse to have as much impact on the score as possible, with subjective things that no one can argue against.

right because everyone has the same tolerance for ticks as everyone....oops, no they don't. never mind

• Like 1

I really think they need to stick to more objective things while judging, such as cleanliness and marching on the right foot in tandem, posture, etc.

50% of the score should be judged on non-music things, in fact it would be better if those judges could not hear the music while judging.

If they REALLY wanted to gauge "general effect", then they need to go to the fans to find out whose shows were more effective. Seriously, the fans know more about what's entertaining and what fits than the judges. But no, they don't care about that, they want an excuse to have as much impact on the score as possible, with subjective things that no one can argue against.

that used to be called the tic system and that was just as subjective , if not worse...this has been gone over , and over and over so I wont get into the fan thing BUT you can not do this, there will be no consistency , no help to a corps trying to improve and no criteria. As we all consider what is entertaining quite different.

Edited by GUARDLING

While the cleanliness of the drill/posture/etc is important to a moment in a show, the more subjective things such as emotion, musicality, etc. have much more of an influence on the "general effect" of a performance. I'm not going to get moved by a corps emotionlessly playing some music while completely in step performing a perfect company front.

Now wait a minute - notice I did not say 100% of the score on "tics". Sure it's important to have a substantial, concrete theme that the visuals and music help to bring out the story, but come on...one judge can say "I didn't like this show, I didn't get it" and the other judge could have a totally different perspective. I'm not saying judges are biased, but the current system just leaves way too much open to debate.

Take Blue Devils 2010 for example. No way should they have score so high visually. I thought it was a horrible mess. Same with SCV show that year.

Now musically, the BD were on a completely different level than anyone else that year, sure. But the mirrors didn't do anything for me at all. Now tell me, are you saying that the judges know more about what the fans like than the fans themselves??

And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to knock the BD because they have done shows that I have really, really liked.

Storyline is important, I get that, but they should develop more objective ways of judging that.

Or maybe I'm wrong, maybe I just don't know what is entertaining and probably should leave it up to others to decide what's good for me.

Big Brother DCI knows best.

Now wait a minute - notice I did not say 100% of the score on "tics". Sure it's important to have a substantial, concrete theme that the visuals and music help to bring out the story, but come on...one judge can say "I didn't like this show, I didn't get it" and the other judge could have a totally different perspective. I'm not saying judges are biased, but the current system just leaves way too much open to debate.

Take Blue Devils 2010 for example. No way should they have score so high visually. I thought it was a horrible mess. Same with SCV show that year.

Now musically, the BD were on a completely different level than anyone else that year, sure. But the mirrors didn't do anything for me at all. Now tell me, are you saying that the judges know more about what the fans like than the fans themselves??

And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to knock the BD because they have done shows that I have really, really liked.

Storyline is important, I get that, but they should develop more objective ways of judging that.

Or maybe I'm wrong, maybe I just don't know what is entertaining and probably should leave it up to others to decide what's good for me.

its not that you dont know what is entertaining, it just can differ from someone else. Also all the things you mentioned are also subjective. And so it was with the tic system also

I can't wait for the day when supercomputers do 80% of the judging. Let's just put it that way.

Well this isn't a high school popularity contest.

• Like 1

I have been looking on DCI.org to find the current rules and judging system, I have not been able to find it. Does anyone have a link? I'd like to read about what they actually look for in judging different captions, anything with detail would help.

Thanks.

I have been looking on DCI.org to find the current rules and judging system, I have not been able to find it. Does anyone have a link? I'd like to read about what they actually look for in judging different captions, anything with detail would help.

Thanks.

oh boy youre looking for frustration...its a topic here every year and even the most experienced dont understand or get it often. Interpretation of the rules also become debate.....every year. I'm not sure if it is on the site. corps get them, Someone here may have them and can send to you. I'm on the road back and forth and truthfully dont have the time, nor do I carry them with me. Good Luck...might confuse you more