Akron contest noise

I agree with this 100%. I know some corps claim this is a tradition to warm up close to the stadium, but there is definitely something wrong when you are watch a very good but small Open Class corps on the field performing a ballad, and having the corps rehearsing close to the stadium overpowering their sound. I have been saying this for many years. Some stadiums are much worse than others are about this. But the sad thing is, this could easily be resolved, and since I go to a show to see ALL of the corps, I wouldn't feel like I was getting short changed by not getting to hear the full show as it was intended to be heard from earlier corps performances.

We have to remember. It's not about us, it's all about them.

We have all kinds of devices to enable brass and percussion players to muffle their sound and practice without disturbing the neighbors. Everyone knows what time the show starts. Warmup areas can be designated far enough away from the stadium to eliminate interference. Why should we EVER hear other hornlines, drumlines, pits, Dr. Beats or group yells over the performances we paid to hear?

Ironically, I think just one penalty was applied last year for a corps rehearsing too close to the field. It was to Vanguard Cadets in the Semifinals at Indianapolis, and it allowed Blue Devils B, whom SCVC had beaten in Open Class Finals and World Class Prelims, to pass them. The irony comes first, if the rumor mill is to be believed, in that SCVC was apparently told they were permitted to rehearse in that location, although apparently by someone without authority to make that decision, but second, and more importantly, in that their rehearsal was never heard on the field--unlike the Bluecoats, whose group shout at Akron last year was clearly audible live and in the cinema during Phantom's show, but not penalized.

I've complained about this since the first Akron show a few years ago. At least this year, Bluecoats didn't shout in the middle of the preceding corps' program.

I was at the first show a couple of years ago and felt the same way. I haven't been to the more recent shows (not because of the noise, just too busy) so I can't say if anything has gotten worse. In my opinion, University of Akron is not an ideal place for a drum corps show as it is an urban campus. A major highway (Ohio Route 8) is just east of the stadium. A (not very nice) residential area is to the south and west of the stadium. The stadium, in my opinion is just too hemmed in.