Does recruiting (sometimes predatory) help or hurt DCI?

I said EVIDENCE, not some BS story.

STHU.

I'm not giving you squat, as I have no authority to divulge personal information not intended for the personal airways provided to me in confidence from what I consider to be impeachable adult sources regarding BD's recruiting of a marcher in 2012 in another Corps ( that marched and aged out in 2013 in his Corps without taking up BD's offer to march BD and at a reduced BD Corps fee in 2013 .)

Now if thats not good enough for you.. I don't care, as I don't really care what YOU don't know, only what I know. And I know this... your assertion that BD has never recruited anyone from another Corps is a BS story that you tried to run up the flagpole on here. That might work with the gullible, or the uniformed, or the misinformed, but it won't with me, as I know for a fact that thats pure BS. But have a nice day, anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

This is all a little too "tin-foil hat" for me.

Corps get recruits willingly from other corps when they are successful.

(Sarcasm mode on)

Surely young people have NO interest in joining successful organizations... I mean "loyalty" is the TOP priority of every young person that I know.

(Sarcasm mode off)

It is no conspiracy that a drumcorps attracts talent when they do well. It's also no conspiracy that a drumcorps goes belly-up when they stop doing well and lose any relevant sense of vision (not to mention good business practices).

The Bluecoats... for example, started retaining members (in recent history) consistently after 2001. And this happened because they proved after 2000 to 2001 that the new model of business was to be competitive. That is around the time when the corps leadership stopped saying things like "If you want to win... you came to the wrong place... that's not what we are about". Yes, they used to say things like that. It was around 2001 that the discussion turned to focus on naming brackets where the corps would like to compete. To my knowledge, this is how it has been ever since, and this is much more appealing to young people who want a return for their investment.

Winning isn't everything... because nobody has such control. Contending, however, IS everything (and it should be) to the design team of a corps that is mature and serious.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 2

It is no conspiracy that a drumcorps attracts talent when they do well. It's also no conspiracy that a drumcorps goes belly-up when they stop doing well and lose any relevant sense of vision (not to mention good business practices).

No kidding, Mr. Obvious... of course Drum Corps" attract talent when they do well", and others sometimes " some go belly up "when they mismanage themselves. Nobody thinks differentlly on here, and so I'm not getting whats the new found knowledge we're supposed to garner from your reply comment.

Edited by BRASSO

No kidding, Mr. Obvious... of course Drum Corps" attract talent when they do well", and others sometimes " some go belly up "when they mismanage themselves. Nobody thinks differentlly on here, and so I'm not getting whats the new found knowledge we're supposed to garner from your reply comment.

It occurs to me that you don't know me from Adam. Considering that, I find your reply to be a bit rude. Bummer.

Oh really ?... then let the Blue Devils Dream Team of Staffers and Show Designers rely upon their own internal feeder Corps system from their B Corps and C Corps for a season or two to prove your point. See if BD gets better without " taking talent from other Corps." Let the BD Dream Team Stafferrs do this for a few seasons. What placements do you think they'd get ? Top 1 or 2, as they get most years ? Not a chance. Without the " taking of talent from others Corps ", essentially an uncompensated external " Feeder Corps " system that they derive maximum benefits from ( and to the competitive detriment of the very Corps they compete against each season), BD would be reduced to competing like every other well managed, well financed, sports team in the world does... where they'd have some very good years ( including Championships ), some years where they'd fall out of the top 10 or so for certain, and eveything in between as far as their annual end of season placements. Anybody that doesn't think so, is just kidding themselves, imo

God help me, I know I shouldn't do this but...

Your post makes it sound as though BD should be ashamed for cheating "the system" of what is considered standard DCI practice. You make it sound like they somehow cheat because they attract high quality talent with a high quality product. I don't know their recruiting process, but I'd be shocked to find it to be anything more than casual discussion about the talent in individual corps. The fact is they don't need a strong recruiting program. Like every other corps in this activity, the program they offer is what attracts talented kids. So their program is a success. You make it sound somehow dirty, or cheating, to have that success.

"Oh yea, take away some of BD's success and, why, they'll be just like everyone else!"

Well, Yah. Isn't that the point?

EDIT: And after reading your "evidence" posts, I'd offer this advice: be careful how you disparage a person in this argument because, 1. There is no rule that I know of in DCI that forbids poaching, or stealing, or enticing with monetary gain to attract good players, and 2. In order for even you, as God/King of all DCI, to prove harm you have to identify and prove there were damages. What are the damages to the other corps if Gibbs (or any one else for that matter) in fact, poach, players from other corps? Is there a monetary amount you can point to that represents such damages?

And I hope you spot the red herring and reconsider using the argument that DCI payouts identify the damages. These same recipients vote in their own pay package with a sufficient vote from their member kin. There's no way to determine who really got hurt in your claim, and no way to identify what the monetary damage was because your base premise is unknowable. Even with the poached person back in the line, there's no way to show that the corps would have moved up the monetary ladder in DCI's payout schedule.

You may not like poaching, and may consider it bad. But few are complaining and none have a solid enough damages case to make even a ripple out of it.

Second EDIT: I cleaned this up to make my point more clear. When I re-read it after a night's sleep even I said "WTH does that sentence mean?"

Edited by garfield

Well, unless your name is Adam. :tounge2:

Smart Alec.

Your name wouldn't happen to be Alec would it? :cool:

• Like 1

It occurs to me that you don't know me from Adam. Considering that, I find your reply to be a bit rude. Bummer IKNEW

I knew Adam. Adam was a friend of mine, and you Seffator, are no Adam.

( You might not get this, but the dinos will, imo )

Edited by BRASSO

I knew Adam. Adam was a friend of mine, and you Seffator, are no Adam.

( You might not get this, but the dinos will, imo )

And you are no Jack Kennedy...

Call me a dino.