Drums on Parade

DCI86...that would be a No on the guard judge being new. Sandy Battelle has been around for many years and she is an accomplished drum corps, band and color guard judge! She usually calls it quite right.....sooo, by the look of her numbers tonight and by the contest and venue dynamics, I would pretty much stand by her numbers ad being accurate and justified.

I think the guard judge must be new. His scores are all over the place. A bit like that new percussion judge last week. When a more established guard judge judges, I think things will shake out differently.

Ahhhh DCP, where we want change, but then we don't. LOL!

"Shake it up, judges! Slotting is wrong! Just give people the score they deserve!"

"Wait, what? This judge must be wrong because the scores they gave aren't in the right slotting range!"

No dis on you, personally DCI86. Your statement just reflects how hard it is to accept certain outcomes when they fly in the face of expectations. And of course, things may shake out just as you expect - or maybe they won't. Time will tell!

• Like 1

Cavaliers content is starting to help them more, since their performance levels in marching and brass aren't quite there yet. Regiment is cleaner, but their show design simply hits a level and stays there; little sense of intrigue or sense that there's room for additional development of the idea.

Congratulations to the Cavaliers! I think they will continue to pull ahead of Regiment and who knows what will happen after that. I love the music in Dance Macabre.

And yet in reality, as defined by the things that actually happen on the field, it's more about moving day. This is what happens when one has to find literal things to do to try and illustrate an amorphous concept. The literal things will win every time.

I mean I can post pictures of the husband and wife in the house if you need me to show you literal things. If you go in trying to not like it you will come up with many ways to say it doesnt make sense. Its one of the most basic concepts this year that gors this is our show.

Congratulations to the Cavaliers! I think they will continue to pull ahead of Regiment and who knows what will happen after that. I love the music in Dance Macabre.

That would be Danse Macabre.

Edited by bearwy

This is the second viewing of all these corps (except Colts) for me live. Just a couple thoughts I came away with. Cavaliers show is great. I mean top 5 easy if performed they way the design team intended. I told my son, who happens to be a huge PR fan, the Cavies would be catching and passing PR very soon. Right now, PR is cleaner but Cavies have a vastly superior show. Honestly the pit feature might be the coolest thing on the field this year. Not that I want to compare Cavies show to Machine, but there are several times where you can just feel Cavies getting there swag back like they had with Machine. They are good, real good. PR plays beautifully and the costume change works for me big time, especially how bad ### the drumline looks when going all black. Other than that, PR has a very nice show, I just feel like I've seen it many times before from them. Madison had a LONG rehearsal yesterday and you could really see that at the run through yesterday afternoon. The Flam section is just great and I still say the snares are the best section in the corps. They can really play. I asked a snare player after the show why they only had 7 and apparently the had intended to march 8 but a member tore his meniscus. Not a fan if the new ending and the guard just does not stand out, not sure why. Stars have a nice show but trying to decipeher the theme is a bit confusing. Colts, narration is a major distraction and the concept is strange to me. Loved Troop always do, good guard. Fun show.

I mean I can post pictures of the husband and wife in the house if you need me to show you literal things. If you go in trying to not like it you will come up with many ways to say it doesnt make sense. Its one of the most basic concepts this year that gors this is our show.

And if you've decided that the word is as good as the deed, you'll go in saying 'oh, yes, of course, it's obvious and effective."

They can say anything they want about what they want the crowd to get; the actuality is that the show is designed around an idea that doesn't necessarily lend itself to this medium. The work of the kids hasn't been helped by design choices that are so small and precious that they don't read.

The epitome of this problem is in their percussion equipment design; blueprints, that aren't even readable 20 feet away because of how detailed and small they are. The show, in general, has that problem writ large. Great performing kids; a design team who counted too much on people reading their show description then using it to fill in blanks that should have been addressed in the actual design of the show.

DCI86...that would be a No on the guard judge being new. Sandy Battelle has been around for many years and she is an accomplished drum corps, band and color guard judge! She usually calls it quite right.....sooo, by the look of her numbers tonight and by the contest and venue dynamics, I would pretty much stand by her numbers ad being accurate and justified.

Well I stand corrected, although I don't recall ever seeing her name at a DCI (or WGI) contest before.

I wasn't at the show maybe BLue Stars guard didn't have a great run. I just feel that their contribution to the overall programme is key and their responsibilities far higher than say Trooper's guard who basically spin flags, rifles and sabres. And I mean no disrespect by saying that.

Anyway, as I said, I wasn't there so let's see how things shake out as all groups clean and refine.

And if you've decided that the word is as good as the deed, you'll go in saying 'oh, yes, of course, it's obvious and effective."

They can say anything they want about what they want the crowd to get; the actuality is that the show is designed around an idea that doesn't necessarily lend itself to this medium. The work of the kids hasn't been helped by design choices that are so small and precious that they don't read.

The epitome of this problem is in their percussion equipment design; blueprints, that aren't even readable 20 feet away because of how detailed and small they are. The show, in general, has that problem writ large. Great performing kids; a design team who counted too much on people reading their show description then using it to fill in blanks that should have been addressed in the actual design of the show.

-deleted-

Edited by MotorCityMusician