Drums on Parade

@bluebyyou2000 - As far as the Colts show being a strange concept...What drum corps doesn't have a weird concept at some point. Look at BD. There are times when I never quite understand their show, but yet everyone loves that about them. I agree that the Colts need to iron out problems with the narration, but I believe it is needed to tie the thematic elements together. Not sure why they keep having mic issues...

Edited by kireal

What in Gods name are the Colts color guard members doing when they take the field with the odd body movements? Who in the world comes up with this stuff & actually thinks that it looks good & will add to the performance & score?

Mrs. FlamMan & I were planning on attendinng a few shows this year...but after seeing most of the shows on the fan network, neither one of us find enough shows entertaining enough to go. Just way too much darkness, disonnannce & doom & gloom.

Scouts, Crown, Garfield & Troopers have upbeat shows that make me smile. Everyone else...not so much.

What in Gods name are the Colts color guard members doing when they take the field with the odd body movements? Who in the world comes up with this stuff & actually thinks that it looks good & will add to the performance & score?

Mrs. FlamMan & I were planning on attendinng a few shows this year...but after seeing most of the shows on the fan network, neither one of us find enough shows entertaining enough to go. Just way too much darkness, disonnannce & doom & gloom.

Scouts, Crown, Garfield & Troopers have upbeat shows that make me smile. Everyone else...not so much.

I believe they are walking like the tinman.

Gee. Haven't had a show near me since 2001. It really sucks that you are in the position you are in. I mean, wow. It sounds like such an inconvenience, yet you post here.

I would go. I would scream, I would clap, I would buy many t-shirts. I would support. I would not sleep days before the competition because I was so fricken excited to experience the performances live. Just like before. Before there were no contests near here.

• Like 2

Colts narrator mic wasn't working at opening, so his opening phrases were missing, and then when he WAS being heard, it was largely unintelligible. So do I need to know what he's saying to get the show? Nice featured dancer work. As I think of it, it's a very interesting collection of pieces; the overlaying of monologue really doesn't make it any better.

To some degree, I think the narration does add to it. But, I think some of it in the middle could be cut. I don't like the beware of the shadows part. I do like the music all by itself. What I can't figure out is if they are aware of mic issues and are working on getting them fixed but just haven't yet, or what. I think their guard is doing pretty difficult stuff, but I think their strongest members are on weapons. seems like several flag parts that could be cleaned, and of course, likely will be. The Colts seem willing to take slightly lesser talented kids and work with them. That takes time to mature. I think it would work wonders for their morale if they started seeing their scores move up though.

• Like 1

If you're wondering who comes up with this stuff, take at a look at the Colts' staff page http://www.colts.org/staff.asp with links to everyone's bios. Our son (sixth season on contra) tells us that the drill is challenging and fun.

The guard are a combination of the tinman, the lion, and the scarecrow. Probably doesn't come across clearly on a computer screen. Easy to see from the stands.

The Colts had an upbeat show celebrating their 50th anniversary last year--Field of Dreams. It's on Fan Network with the other upbeat shows from previous years.

• Like 1

As far as the Colts show being a strange concept, what drum corps doesn't have a weird concept at some point? Look at BD. There are times when I never quite understand their show, but yet everyone loves that about them. I agree that the Colts need to iron out problems with the narration, but I believe it is needed to tie the thematic elements together. Not sure why they keep having mic issues.

Everyone does not love that about BD. There was much gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair on these forums as regards the Blue Devils' shows for the past six years or so (some more than others: the strongest ire was probably reserved for the Dada show.)