What corps will turn out to be the biggest surpise of the season ?

Any reaction to how Sun looked tonight? I've been in Mexico for a week so I'm in the dark.

Ok, so after seeing the Grand Prix, the surprise of the season for me, though it probably shouldn't be after their strong finish last year, was the Bushwhackers. I haven't seen them this prepared in July since 2006.

• Like 1

Any reaction to how Sun looked tonight? I've been in Mexico for a week so I'm in the dark.

Ray, from my viewing area in the press box... it was a good start for our old team.

The uniforms are clean and sharp... with the potential for more color to come.

The visual show is designed so the corps can play the music book.... not much running around the field. A good thing, IMO.

The horn line has some really strong moments.... especially the lower brass, which has some serious horses in the ranks.... but also some "very young corps" moments where things are a bit shaky. Understandable for the first show of the season for them. Pretty much the same for the drum line.

The guard is very solid.

And.. as usual for most corps early in the season.... the story line, the props, etc., are a work in progress, sure to get better/more focused as the summer goes on.

• Like 1

Thanks Fran ,i guess if anyone had a good view of the show ,it would be you up in the press box .They sound like there in better shape this season than last for the frist show ,So it can only get better from here , Go SUN

Sunrisers are ABSOLUTELY on the 'rise.'

I stood down on the track, but liked what I saw. They used a small stage on both left and right side for 3 nicely costumed characters. This is a tasteful use of props, not overbearing, unless we're refering to the most lovely Princess (Queen?) that attracted my focus throughout the entire program ! Procession of the Nobles is one of my all time favorite numbers. The corps is positioned in a way that makes them feel as 'big' as every other corps. It's a solid year for the middle of the DCA pack, so their placement seemed just about right. I would enjoy seeing them again.

Bushwackers are returning to prominence, too! Something slightly different about the uniforms. I couldn't quite put my finger on what, but it works. The show, entitled Resistants, perfectly captures that image. The use of chain link fencing sections, moved around on wheels, and decorated with various 'statements' is not only creative, but effective. At one point, the fence sections actually corral the entire percussion section and move it back En Masse, Fits, don't 'ya think?

Atlanta CV is a most attractive corps. I'll probably always refer to them as CorpsVets, but admire this group no matter what they are called. First of all, let's not forget how difficult it must be for a corps from that distance to participate 'up here' as good as they do. Not to mention, the professional demeanor and friendliness of the staff and support people. Everyone seems to really want to do DCA, and represent it in the best possible light. A young lady at the booster table expressed her enthusiasm about playing before a traditional DCA audience, with pre-show tailgates all over and a crowd that knows what's going on out on the field. Once again, great looking (and sounding) corps. The simplest of uniform enhancements, particularly the 'X' works better than you would expect. Talented pit section. The fellow at the tymps works like someone on loan from the Atlanta Symphony. Overall, I was particularly happy to see CV's outstanding color guard. They stand up well in a year of many good guards. Catch these guys and gals. This is something positive on so many levels! I would have scored CV higher, maybe by 3 more points.

Spent the afternoon in the company of the Cabs Alumni at their practice site and in the stadium lot. I am particularly impressed by the mellophone section that cuts through with much authority. Really, though, all sections are not just large in number, but still 'bring the goods.' I was amazed by the distance some of the members travel to play, and the incredible amount of experience evident in a truly mature group. Some of these folks probably remember paying 30 cents for a gallon of gasoline! There's a certain magnetism about this corps. It was explained to me simply . . . . There's just something about wearing those 'magic pants.' No matter, when you have an ice cream flavor that's been selling out for decades, you just DON'T change the recipe!

Special shout-out to the Clifton Boys and Girls Club who handled concessions at the stadium. Imagine paying just $2 for a hot dog, $1 for water, etc. all served up efficiently by friendly and hard-working young volunteers. If you're ever going to be excited with a food & drink stand, this was it!

Wayne, NJ was a classic, well-run DCA show. What else would we expect from the fine Caballeros organization? Geez, we even had the 'gold standard' PA announcer, Fran Haring, at the mic. Very fitting!

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 4

Any concession stand is the equivalent of good concessions on a hot day, but the hot dogs were ummmm skinny. Yes, that is a good word, skinny. The burgers were much more inviting. :smile:

We had food with us at the car but wanted to do the 'support the home team' thing. Totally worth it ~ class organization through and through.

Thanks Fran ,i guess if anyone had a good view of the show ,it would be you up in the press box .They sound like there in better shape this season than last for the frist show ,So it can only get better from here , Go SUN

It's a well-designed show, Chuck. With songs the audience can "get."

Sunrisers are ABSOLUTELY on the 'rise.'

I stood down on the track, but liked what I saw. They used a small stage on both left and right side for 3 nicely costumed characters. This is a tasteful use of props, not overbearing, unless we're refering to the most lovely Princess (Queen?) that attracted my focus throughout the entire program ! Procession of the Nobles is one of my all time favorite numbers. The corps is positioned in a way that makes them feel as 'big' as every other corps. It's a solid year for the middle of the DCA pack, so their placement seemed just about right. I would enjoy seeing them again.

Bushwackers are returning to prominence, too! Something slightly different about the uniforms. I couldn't quite put my finger on what, but it works. The show, entitled Resistants, perfectly captures that image. The use of chain link fencing sections, moved around on wheels, and decorated with various 'statements' is not only creative, but effective. At one point, the fence sections actually corral the entire percussion section and move it back En Masse, Fits, don't 'ya think?

Atlanta CV is a most attractive corps. I'll probably always refer to them as CorpsVets, but admire this group no matter what they are called. First of all, let's not forget how difficult it must be for a corps from that distance to participate 'up here' as good as they do. Not to mention, the professional demeanor and friendliness of the staff and support people. Everyone seems to really want to do DCA, and represent it in the best possible light. A young lady at the booster table expressed her enthusiasm about playing before a traditional DCA audience, with pre-show tailgates all over and a crowd that knows what's going on out on the field. Once again, great looking (and sounding) corps. The simplest of uniform enhancements, particularly the 'X' works better than you would expect. Talented pit section. The fellow at the tymps works like someone on loan from the Atlanta Symphony. Overall, I was particularly happy to see CV's outstanding color guard. They stand up well in a year of many good guards. Catch these guys and gals. This is something positive on so many levels! I would have scored CV higher, maybe by 3 more points.

Spent the afternoon in the company of the Cabs Alumni at their practice site and in the stadium lot. I am particularly impressed by the mellophone section that cuts through with much authority. Really, though, all sections are not just large in number, but still 'bring the goods.' I was amazed by the distance some of the members travel to play, and the incredible amount of experience evident in a truly mature group. Some of these folks probably remember paying 30 cents for a gallon of gasoline! There's a certain magnetism about this corps. It was explained to me simply . . . . There's just something about wearing those 'magic pants.' No matter, when you have an ice cream flavor that's been selling out for decades, you just DON'T change the recipe!

Special shout-out to the Clifton Boys and Girls Club who handled concessions at the stadium. Imagine paying just $2 for a hot dog, $1 for water, etc. all served up efficiently by friendly and hard-working young volunteers. If you're ever going to be excited with a food & drink stand, this was it!

Wayne, NJ was a classic, well-run DCA show. What else would we expect from the fine Caballeros organization? Geez, we even had the 'gold standard' PA announcer, Fran Haring, at the mic. Very fitting!

Thank you for the kind words, Fred!!!! My apologies for not getting a chance to say hello.

And my apologies to any audience members who suffered hearing loss from the PA system audio feedback. LOL. Yikes, that was an issue at times, trying to get the board mix correct. But overall, a really good PA system there. I like that stadium very much.

Man... you are on the money about the concessions thing. Those Boys and Girls Club people do a great job, every year at the Cabs' show. The smoke from the grill area was drifting up into the press box, and making me hungry!!!

• Like 1

Any concession stand is the equivalent of good concessions on a hot day, but the hot dogs were ummmm skinny. Yes, that is a good word, skinny. The burgers were much more inviting. :smile:

We had food with us at the car but wanted to do the 'support the home team' thing. Totally worth it ~ class organization through and through.

I wonder if they were Sabrett dogs? Those things are tasty, but thin. LOL.

I wonder if they were Sabrett dogs? Those things are tasty, but thin. LOL.

I do not believe they were. I would have LOVED it if they had been though