An observation of Drum Corps fans

I've been attending shows since the mid 80s and have noticed over the years how unapproachable many drum corps fans are. I am a very engaging person and always make small talk about the Corps to people is sit next to. I am very courteous at all times including performances. The one thing I've noticed, and frankly am very turned off by is the very impersonal people I always seem to sit next to. It seems like if you didn't march with that specific person, they are not really interested in your conversation. I've never seen this at any sporting event, but at every DCI event I go to, it's the same. What gives here? Apparently I'm not part of any brotherly fraternity, don't know what SUTA or Spoolie means, but spend thousands each year watching a very entertaining activity. Frankly, it's a major turn off for me. This would also include soovie booths, food lines and bathroom lines. Help me out here!

You've been experiencing this for 30 years?

SUTA and PUTA is a Phantom/Spirit thing meant in good humor (it was before my time with SOA but the acronyms aren't nice, at least if what I was told is accurate).

I've been attending shows since the mid 80s and have noticed over the years how unapproachable many drum corps fans are. I am a very engaging person and always make small talk about the Corps to people is sit next to. I am very courteous at all times including performances. The one thing I've noticed, and frankly am very turned off by is the very impersonal people I always seem to sit next to. It seems like if you didn't march with that specific person, they are not really interested in your conversation. I've never seen this at any sporting event, but at every DCI event I go to, it's the same. What gives here? Apparently I'm not part of any brotherly fraternity, don't know what SUTA or Spoolie means, but spend thousands each year watching a very entertaining activity. Frankly, it's a major turn off for me. This would also include soovie booths, food lines and bathroom lines. Help me out here!

Sadly, your first sentence is a microcosm of present day American society. I've noticed this behavior too at some shows, but if I wear one of my corps member jackets (which I hardly do now) I find people will want to engage me.

You've been experiencing this for 30 years?

SUTA and PUTA is a Phantom/Spirit thing meant in good humor (it was before my time with SOA but the acronyms aren't nice, at least if what I was told is accurate).

Yes, but not quite as bad as it has been of late. Thanks for the tips on SUTA and PUTA, think I figured it out. What about Spoolie?

• Like 1

Splooie - a member/alum of that corps would have to fill you in. Mostly corps keep that stuff internal...some of it is for public consumption, most isn't. I don't know, and have several Cavie alums that are friends and I never asked.

Edited by JKT90

I know what " splooie " means with the Cavs,.. but nobodys going to pry that out of me, unless they are prepared to buy me a few large Guinness, and a box of fine Montecristo # 2's.

Sorry you've had that experience. I am from the Cal, and the competitions I have been to here have been next to some really great people. I was able to go to the semis and finals last year and sat next to some wonderful people as well. The only thing I have come across are young kids talking throughout the performances (I DO say something!). As someone said above, bad "luck of the draw??" BTW, the cologne DOES work too!!

• Like 1

Wow, my experience has been the reverse. Everywhere I sit I meet other parents of kids in various corps and there is always an instant bond once that fact is established. And I do yell and scream for every note, step and catch. And so do they. I have had some wonderful convos with parents of kids in other corps... in the stands, on Indy shuttle buses and in airports.

• Like 1

You might wish to skip the friendly discourse in the bathroom line (and most certainly in the lavatorial setting itself). For some, that is simply wayyyy too much an infringement of their personal space.

As far as the souvie line: you might want to open with "I bet you could use ten or twenty more bucks right now, huh?" I think you'll find yourself to have acquired a brand new world's best friend.