An observation of Drum Corps fans

Is this true? If so, wow what a charmed life he has led:

* Cheers

* Empire Strikes Back

* Pixar

* drum corps

If that isn't the resume of all-time Awesomeness, I don't know what is!! :tounge2:

but Norm got all the good lines

Who all is going to be at DCI La Crosse Saturday? I guarantee some good conversation!

I'll be there.

I'll tell u I've met and talked to some wonderful and insightful people over the years at shows! I've had a blast getting to know quite a few people and talking great drum corps.

Speaking of exciting I'm super excited to introduce drum corps to my son for the first time this summer. He's 6 months old today and has listened since in the womb. My daughter is 2 1/2 and is hooked- She calls Crown- Caroline's Band (since her name is Caroline) Ill make some great tshirts for em:)

• Like 1

I've introduced many little kids to the activity. I recently took my girlfriends 12 year old daughter and a young man from down the road who plays trumpet to Drums on Parade a few weeks ago. They were super impressed as I knew they would be. Fans for life. I don't know, I started this topic and just find many people at shows just not very talkative. I freaking love drum corps and love talking about it, just surprised there's not more like me.

Edited by BlueByYou2000

There IS a possibility, the lack of congeniality we are starting to see in audiences, particularly younger audiences, is a result of the 'digital communication' dependants we have become. Social skills have changed.

Here's an idea. When you take your seat, ask the individuals around you their contact address (or whatever is required to keep their head down and oblivious over some device). Next, using your own device, send them something "in ones and zeros" asking their reaction to the corps that just finished. I'm thinking, instead of an elbow bump, your own device will soon start to beep! Guess whoooo?

If you see me at a show, please don’t talk to me and I’ll repay the favor

Your truly, a Midwest fan

Now seriously, whats up with the OP that for the past 30 years, no one wants to talk to them?

Now seriously, whats up with the OP that for the past 30 years, no one wants to talk to them?

I have no idea. ' Could be something like this... who knows :

http://www.funnypica.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Kiss-me-quick.jpg

Uncle Bob !!!!!!!!!!!

may I offer a view from the other side ?

I started marching before DCI was created, marched in 2 corps, taught 3 and was involved in management of 2 corps. I was a band director for 30+ years at 4 different schools during that time.

I'm old, disabled, in pain and just plain grumpy most of the time so I just keep to myself. In my life, I've had to endure days of prelims with idiots somewhere near, that would never shut up and spoke at a level that people 2 sections over could hear their comments. I could see people cringe listening to their uneducated commentary and false facts and I was always the one who would get fed up and ask " hey, where and when did you march" . Usually, they never did and I would end up correcting them on facts ( to the laughter and applause of the rest of the people around me ) Yes, I'm a jerk, but I TRY to keep to myself. My idea of drum corps Heaven was in 80 when ( because of an emergency, I housed 5 corps for the NOLA show) DCI gave me 12 seats in the "gold seats" on the 50 and we were the only ones in that section.................OMG, what a great way to see and hear finals.

As shows get more intense and detailed every year. I really need to concentrate during the show to absorb as much as I can and then I use the time between corps to digest what I've seen and heard. I want to understand and savor what was presented to me. Between the multiple levels in todays shows and my brain becoming slower then it once was, I need to focus..

I'm sorry if I offend anyone by keeping to myself during a show, I try to be friendly but usually I'm lost in thought digesting as much as I can. I attend a show much like I would attend a seminar, to learn more about my craft from others. Maybe I take it too seriously but that's the way I am. To me it's a religion and I'm at mass trying to further my knowledge

For me, it's NOT a social outing, I don't go to shows for hotdogs and drinks ( or worse, the parents that buy their 6 year old nachos with extra cheese that drips cheese on you during the 5th time they entered the row during SCV performance) I don't go to shows to talk / visit with anyone DURING the show.

If you want to chat before the show I do understand and as much as I'd like to I really don't want to open the door in case that person is the type that won't shut up during the show.

Come see me in the lot after the show, I'll share my ice chest, my Bombay Sapphire and we can BS till dawn

Thank God for the Fan Network ( now I don't have to worry about disturbing anyone because of an over active prostate )

I really hope everyone attends great shows...................just leave the grumpy old ####### alone :poke:

• Like 2

may I offer a view from the other side ?

I started marching before DCI was created, marched in 2 corps, taught 3 and was involved in management of 2 corps. I was a band director for 30+ years at 4 different schools during that time.

I'm old, disabled, in pain and just plain grumpy most of the time so I just keep to myself. In my life, I've had to endure days of prelims with idiots somewhere near, that would never shut up and spoke at a level that people 2 sections over could hear their comments. I could see people cringe listening to their uneducated commentary and false facts and I was always the one who would get fed up and ask " hey, where and when did you march" . Usually, they never did and I would end up correcting them on facts ( to the laughter and applause of the rest of the people around me ) Yes, I'm a jerk, but I TRY to keep to myself. My idea of drum corps Heaven was in 80 when ( because of an emergency, I housed 5 corps for the NOLA show) DCI gave me 12 seats in the "gold seats" on the 50 and we were the only ones in that section.................OMG, what a great way to see and hear finals.

As shows get more intense and detailed every year. I really need to concentrate during the show to absorb as much as I can and then I use the time between corps to digest what I've seen and heard. I want to understand and savor what was presented to me. Between the multiple levels in todays shows and my brain becoming slower then it once was, I need to focus..

I'm sorry if I offend anyone by keeping to myself during a show, I try to be friendly but usually I'm lost in thought digesting as much as I can. I attend a show much like I would attend a seminar, to learn more about my craft from others. Maybe I take it too seriously but that's the way I am. To me it's a religion and I'm at mass trying to further my knowledge

For me, it's NOT a social outing, I don't go to shows for hotdogs and drinks ( or worse, the parents that buy their 6 year old nachos with extra cheese that drips cheese on you during the 5th time they entered the row during SCV performance) I don't go to shows to talk / visit with anyone DURING the show.

If you want to chat before the show I do understand and as much as I'd like to I really don't want to open the door in case that person is the type that won't shut up during the show.

Come see me in the lot after the show, I'll share my ice chest, my Bombay Sapphire and we can BS till dawn

Thank God for the Fan Network ( now I don't have to worry about disturbing anyone because of an over active prostate )

I really hope everyone attends great shows...................just leave the grumpy old ####### alone :poke:

I can agree with a lot of what you say! I love FN because I don't have to hear someones caterwalling toddler they decided to introduce to drum corps at the expense of the parents who came 150 miles to the only show they could attend and missed their kids solo because of the darling little one who decides their solo was up.

However, I do like talking with people at shows in between performances and especially before the show starts and we are all just waiting. It's really fun to talk with marching members after their shows and asking them how they see the rest of the season going.

• Like 1