Gone are the days......

He did " say something positive " in his remarks above. He even expressed exuberance on what the positives were he saw, named those positives, and then related what his daughter found as " positive ". He only briefly mentioned what he did not like ( he's entitled to that ). His review was almost entirely favorable and positive to maany of the Corps from my assessment of his observations. I guess his rfemarks mostly flew right over your head, or the fact he said something unfavorable to your Corps blinded you to the totality of his remarks that on the whole I found to be quite " positive ", as a matter of fact. Oh well, for sure we all see things quite differently on here from time to time. There is no question about that.

I was referring to his comments (repeated) about the cadets specifically. he said nice things about all the other corps. Again and again.

And Cadets are not "my corps" nor my favorite corps this year. But there's no reason to be downright rude and say things like "they will probably win because they are the Cadets"

Or do you defend that sort of statement? I have a feeling you and I agree on 99%

Wouldn't DCI be better for you if there were more shows like "Avian"? Does that suggest that perhaps DCI would be better if its judging system were changed to reward shows like "Avian" more than those that scored above it?

No, because I realize that there is more to evaluating a performance, and ranking and rating the groups in a competition, than just 'like'. Plus...that is just my favorite...others here did not care for their show and 'liked' other corps better. That is a totally personal thing.

You've made this point numerous times--you hate the Cadets program and think they are boring. We get that.

One nice thing about DCP is that you can search a person's posts by content. If I search raindhdw08's posts for "Cadets" over the past month, the only negative comments are three made in the past day. But maybe three is "numerous" to you.

• Like 2

One nice thing about DCP is that you can search a person's posts by content. If I search raindhdw08's posts for "Cadets" over the past month, the only negative comments are three made in the past day. But maybe three is "numerous" to you.

How many positive? And perhaps "several" is the correct adverb my sincere apologies

I was referring to his comments (repeated) about the cadets specifically. he said nice things about all the other corps. Again and again.

And Cadets are not "my corps" nor my favorite corps this year. But there's no reason to be downright rude and say things like "they will probably win because they are the Cadets"

Or do you defend that sort of statement? I have a feeling you and I agree on 99%

Yes, I do as a matter of fact " defend his statement ". I have predicted in preseason that the Cadevaliers DCI Royal Family would return to their DCI Throne after a 1 year absence, something that they have done every year since 1976 except for one time. What is wrong with that assessment ?.. especially when it appears that the 2014 assessment right now seems to be spot on ?

Edited by BRASSO

Spending 5 minutes on fromthepressbox...

Crown won last year and was 6th in percussion.

In 2012 the 2nd and 3rf place corps were 6th and 7th in percussion, while the 2nd place percussion corps was 6th overall.

Overall Cavies went from 3rd in 2011 to 8th in 2012.

Regiment won in 08 and were 9th in 09.

Cadets 1st in 05 to 5th in 06

Blue Knights 6th in 2000 to 14th in 2001.

Coats 3rd in 2010 to 7th in 2011

Always interesting how people talk about large falls in placement, but never large rises. Hmm.

How many positive? And perhaps "several" is the correct adverb my sincere apologies

Yes because, like in school, we must have a compliment sandwich where each "critique" is surrounded by two positives. Gold star if they are REALLY good positives.

Edited by THeShadeOfNight
  • Like 1

He didn't see Cadets' show until Saturday, and didn't comment at all about it before then. So zero comments on the quality of Cadets' show before seeing it, three comments on the quality of Cadets' show, admittedly negative, after seeing it.

• Like 1

Yes, I do as a matter of fact " defend his statement ". I have predicted the Cadevaliers DCI Royal Family to return to their DCI Throne after a 1 year absence, something that they have done every year since 1976 except for one time. What is wrong with that assessment ?.. especially when it appears that the 2014 assessment right now seems to be spot on ?

are you saying they will ascend to the throne based on WHO they are verses the performances?

Because right now BD & Cadets are simply out performing everyone else. Haven't seen Cavaliers live yet to comment on them.

He didn't see Cadets' show until Saturday, and didn't comment at all about it before then. So zero comments on the quality of Cadets' show before seeing it, three comments on the quality of Cadets' show, admittedly negative, after seeing it.

This is a straw man argument. The issue I was raising was the statement that "Cadets will win because of WHO they are" - that's just utter BS

Edited by George Dixon

And be HONEST in your comments. Cadets didn't feature their drum line? They have SEVERAL long features--front and center.

Perhaps not quite so much front when center this year as in the past, given the wall right behind the pit.

And you've made THAT point numerous times. Unless you are sitting in the first 15 rows in the center it isn't blocking anything. And mostly those seats go EMPTY. And at larger venue it is lower than the first row.

So I'd suggest you find something else to hate on in the production. That one is a little lame. IMO.

Yikes. I guess I should have used a smiley there. I have in fact said nothing about Cadets' battery this season, so you are mistaken about my having made that point before.

It was was joke. You said the battery was "front and center". Given the stage, the joke writes itself.

(I haven't seen the Cadets' show live yet and have offered no opinion as to its overall merits. Based on the various Fan Network showings, I have made comments on some specific points, disputed some justifications that others have made (using faulty logic) for certain Cadets' design choices, and asked a lot of questions.)

Much of the Cadets battery awesomeness this year happens in backfield or on the move.....running backwards while executing licks at all dynamic levels is incredibly challenging but not as likely to grab the crowd's attention as a 30 second shredding exercise parked in field front. I love how a line can be seamlessly featured while simultaneously integrated into the musical arrangement and drill.

All of which is fantastic. None of which bears the least on their being featured "front and center" which was the statement under humorous consideration ... for those with a sense of humor.