Blue Devils Drumline

Cadets line went from a 19.3 on Thursday to an 18.6 on Friday....really?? They were down .7 in one day? WTF?? Time to forget scores and just enjoy the bunch of awesome lines, including BD of course.

Yep, it does seem silly. Cadets line is amazing as always and I think the good judges come finals night will get it right.

• Like 1

But c'mon brich', be fair. Don't try to make it out like they just stand there for the whole show. They cover the field pretty well, and play while they're doing it, through the overall course of the program

BD and Cadets lines are magnificent, each in their own way. I think the key is that the drum books for both serve, propel and underpin the musical score very well. Cadets line is not featured as much as BD, which might be detrimental to Cadets; but it is all about "one corp, one sound.'

I think it could be any one of the top 4 lines to take it. I like them all.

The BD book is so much different than the one they played last year. So many style changes and modulations and also playing slow while marching fast is not as easy as it looks. One thing I noticed is at none of the live shows have they shown the real feature in the back field where they do the single hand roll thing twice and very fast. Some of those singles they are playing are so fast I can't see how they clean it.

I like the snare tuning this year. It's a lot fatter sounding this year. Last year was good for the book they played though. Very tight and articulate which was the type of stuff they played last year.

I think SCV's tuning is more suited for indoor sound though.

• Like 1

If by 'they,' you mean Cadets, then we are agreed. BD's line is awesome of course, and they also lay down mad skills. but much of it is not at high velocity and much of it is mid to front field. Some of the coolest and most challenging techniques laid down by the Cadets line is backfield and on the move....if the drum judge (like the one on 7/14 who failed to track them back there much of the show) isn't diligent, he won't give it proper recognition. Both Prosperie and Fugett were very diligent.

Hey I have an idea! Go time BD and then the other corps and then post what you find so we have some facts to go off of, instead of your random conjecture!

Don't forget the B corps line. They are throwing down some serious beats and clean too. It's no wonder they are on par to win their 6th straight open class drum trophy.

if the drum judge (like the one on 7/14 who failed to track them back there much of the show) isn't diligent, he won't give it proper recognition.

At first, I thought he was a brass judge, but when he finally moved out in front of the snares, I was surprised. He sure spent a lot time on the touch line throughout the show.

Have you guys checked out the BD drumline vids from the past few days? OMG - the early season looked pretty questionable and I had the feeling they weren't really in the running this year for the drum trophy, but wow. They cleaned up REAL fast over the past couple weeks. I can't say I'm surprised they beat all comers at the last few shows, holy cow! :wow:

Anybody else really digging this amazing drumline? :cool:

I totally agree with you: they've come a LONG way this summer! Their entire percussion program is really starting to sound amazing, and I can't wait to see how they finish!!

• Like 1