My first live show in 2 decades-Atlanta, GA

Speaking of the Trombones.

For all the angst with the rule change and the expense of having all those trombones to play for a time measured in seconds, the effect is pretty mediocre. Put the use of trombones in the context of the tone bending at the end of the Bluecoats show. That tone bend is a highlight/defining effect for this season. Trombones, not so much.

I have incredible respect for a line of 24 trombones who can play a B-natural in tune at those volumes. Tons of college bands can't even do that.

• Like 1

I have incredible respect for a line of 24 trombones who can play a B-natural in tune at those volumes. Tons of college bands can't even do that.

Totally agree there ^

The sound SCV is getting from them is impressive

There's a B-natural on the trombone??? (Relax... :sarcasm: )

Edited by HornTeacher

I haven't seen a competition in person since I was in the Argonne Rebels in the 70's. I went to Atlanta last weekend and loved it!!

It's a lot different than it was, but everything changes. Really enjoyed the Blue Coats and Carolina Crown was amazing. They must

have beamed down aliens to play those horns, no way humans could play like that! Amazing!

Here's a clip of when I was in, if you fast forward the clip you can hear some of the songs we played.

The biggest difference I think is that we were all from a small town in Kansas, farm kids and Sandra Opie taught us how to play.

She's in the DCI hall of fame now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YapHyg2s2vU&list=PLB798ED7B6BAA0C9F&index=1

I haven't seen a competition in person since I was in the Argonne Rebels in the 70's. I went to Atlanta last weekend and loved it!!

It's a lot different than it was, but everything changes. Really enjoyed the Blue Coats and Carolina Crown was amazing. They must

have beamed down aliens to play those horns, no way humans could play like that! Amazing!

Here's a clip of when I was in, if you fast forward the clip you can hear some of the songs we played.

The biggest difference I think is that we were all from a small town in Kansas, farm kids and Sandra Opie taught us how to play.

She's in the DCI hall of fame now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YapHyg2s2vU&list=PLB798ED7B6BAA0C9F&index=1

I don't know, man--I just listened to some of this. The fact that you were playing those licks with your thumbs is pretty darn impressive, too! :cool:

I don't know, man--I just listened to some of this. The fact that you were playing those licks with your thumbs is pretty darn impressive, too! :cool:

I suppose the older style bugles we used made it more difficult, but the stuff we were playing wasn't near as challenging as the scores I heard the other night. Plus, we weren't running at top speed backwards, forwards and sideways. Not sure if it's true, but someone said they move at 200bpm. I don't see how they do it. The talent in these groups is amazing. All the groups were wonderful, but Crowns horn line was really mind boggling.

I've got tickets to Indy to see the finals, can't wait.

Edited by wigwam