My first live show in 2 decades-Atlanta, GA

Good tip...did not think about that! Wife thanks you too...I'm sure.

No problem! I'd imagine sitting on stands all day might not be very comfortable :smile:

• Like 1

VERY well said! It would be great if more of us could see things through your glasses. Thank you!

Well, it's obvious I have a very different perspective on the sport...I think it's the time I spent away from it, finding out that DCI isn't really represented in Florida any more and the many changes(corps disbanding) since I first started following drum corps it's like I'm having to start from scratch. Even though it's so different I still love it.

If you love nonstop gratuitous lunging and squatting for no apparent reason, you're in for a treat!

Even my 9yo laughs at the squatting...

The squatting may be the worst form of body movement out there. I have no idea why designers think having the corps look like they are taking a collective dump is effective in any way.

Who cares how ridiculous squatting and the peepee dance look!?!?. It is simultaneous responsibility and it is demanding, therefore it should be given credit aplenty!!! </sarcasm>

Who cares how ridiculous squatting and the peepee dance look!?!?. It is simultaneous responsibility and it is demanding, therefore it should be given credit aplenty!!! </sarcasm>

My son and i were watch Crown in the lot while they were warming up in 2013...He said they look like the JibJab Christmas Elves when they squat...

team_patio_elf_yourself.jpg

My son and i were watch Crown in the lot while they were warming up in 2013...He said they look like the JibJab Christmas Elves when they squat...

team_patio_elf_yourself.jpg

You watched " Crown in the lot while they were warming up in 2013 ", but didn't go in to watch the show ? How come ?... especially given the fact that you had been away in " the military for 20 years", excited about the opportunity of potentially seeing a show again, but apparently wern't near any shows in those 20 years while "in the military " to get near a corps like Crown warming up in the pre show lot like this last year.

Edited by BRASSO

I do plan on writing a review once I get back from Atlanta. I think after watching live streams online and videos of performances over the last 20 years I'm pretty much ready for the changes. I've been talking to my wife and my old band director about some of the DCI changes and I've seen all the bickering back and forth about G vs. Bb bugles, mic'd pits, narration, squatting/dancing/prancing and I get the complaining. I remember what it was like before and I've not had the transition period like many others have and to be quite honest I wasn't thrilled at first.

After watching and reacquainting myself with drum corps and now modern drum corps I've formulated my own opinion and here it is....I love drum and bugle corps!!! I love what it stands for, I love what it does to and for the individuals involved(parents,volunteers and drivers as well) and I love that it keeps music alive in a sports dominated world. While I may not love all the changes today or what the changes will be tomorrow...I still love it. We can sit here and complain all day long on these forums but I guarantee you this....those kids marching believe drum corps is alive and well....and they believe in what they are doing as much as the participants did 50 years ago. To them it's the best drum corps has ever been and I'm going to support not just the activity but those individuals.

I can't wait until Saturday so I can introduce my family to an activity that I love so much....drum and bugle corps. Even though we're driving 7.5 hours to Atlanta...I'm excited, they're excited and I'm looking forward to a fun weekend.

Dude...amen!

Stuff you'll miss from 20 years ago

• Full Retreat (now drum majors only)
  • Drum Corps uniforms - you'll see a few familiar uni's (Cadets, Cavaliers) but a lot of the uniforms will look alien
  • Guard equipment - lots of dancing now, and when they do pick up a rifle or flag you won't see a lot of unison work

Have a great time!

* Recognizable music!

Edited by LSU GRAD 82

Nice write up...personally, I was concerned about trombones until I heard Madison. Then it clicked and I was like, ok, on the sidelines, I can get on board with that.