HIGHER, Faster, Stronger

So... if your buses are running properly and you show up on time, you score at least a 50. :tongue:

I know... that isn't always the case....

I guess I was not clear,...........basically on todays sheets, if you show up, and get no penalties the lowest score tou can be awarded is a 50,...............back in the day it was zero

• Like 1

today is also build up. back in the day it was tear down.

today is also build up. back in the day it was tear down.

correct. and i think tear down worked better. just my opinion.

correct. and i think tear down worked better. just my opinion. start with somethin ten start taking away.

Edited by donincardona

correct. and i think tear down worked better. just my opinion.

did it though? complaints today rage just as much as then...it's just now we have the internet. a tick wasn't ever truly defined, and just doing some digging the other day after someone said one circuit did define them...there was still inconsistency judge to judge even with "guidelines".

Here's more to the stew Jeff mentions regarding inconsistency, and the issue still applies today.

When Truman Crawford spoke to Westshore at Lewistown in '79, he drove home a couple of points.

One was that our corps needed to establish a strong consistency of excellent performances. Not a good one here and there- every run through, period.

Then he explained why that was so important. He told us there were gray areas in a judge's perception of error. Sometimes, it's black and white. Obvious error, or obviously clean to one's ears. Sometimes it's 'Hmmmm, did I hear a mistake or not just there, or was that my imagination?' Having a track record of excellence and quality would give a corps much, much more of a benefit of a doubt towards 'clean' then the 'error' side and we needed to establish that track record.

A lot of wisdom contained there in a nutshell. I've never forgotten it.

I am not an expert on Drum Corp Judging, but it would seem that it may be getting more looks from a judge allows the corps to adjust to the judge, rather than Judges preconceiving scores. In football when a team knows who the ref is going to be the coaches tell the players how rough they can be or where the line to call interference will be. I had a friend who did hair and make up for pageants She would adjust her clients make up by what she knew the judges were looking for, it was not the judges changing, but the contestants and their staffs who had seen the same judge before adjusted to what that judge was looking for. So a corps with several judgings before has an advantage over one that hasn't been judged by a similar judging panel before because they have had an opportunity to adjust to the critiques of the judge. Again I don't know the politics of it but I don't think that there is a great judging conspiracy

• Like 1

totaleefree You are right on the money on that ,if you know a judge is going to be seeing you more then once and the chances of him/her judging championships then you had better take his critique 's to the game ,Other wise forget about going any further up in ratings .They don't offer advise for you to toss it out .

Edited by Florida Sun

Also, the corps expect the judge to comment on things they may have discussed before. For example:

"You talked about the lack of dynamics in the middle of the opener last week, and there are no comments this week about the work we did on it on your recording. Was it better or worse... we need some help here."

Two-way street. Judges are charted by some corps as to the nature of comments, what emphases they place on certain aspects of music, etc.

Also, I know of at least one group who analyzed on field placements of judges to know what to prioritize for rehearsals.